afterstep

Post by Art Meredit » Mon, 14 Feb 2000 04:00:00

I have just got linux running, just call me newbie, and I ran startx to get
to the x windows.  After playing with this I now have afterstep as my
default  x window. Two things, 1 now I need the default key maps because I
can't get to any apps,or even get to the other desktops  or 2 tell me how to
reset this to the fvmn95 Xwindows.

Thanks
ARt

afterstep

Post by John Croso » Tue, 15 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> I have just got linux running, just call me newbie, and I ran startx to
get
> to the x windows.  After playing with this I now have afterstep as my
> default  x window. Two things, 1 now I need the default key maps because
> can't get to any apps,or even get to the other desktops  or 2 tell me how
> reset this to the fvmn95 Xwindows.

Try running kdm after logging in, IF you are running RH5.x or greater...or
xdm.

JC

1. Boy's Life, Linux, BSD, GNU, QT, GTK, KDE, AfterStep, and Oracle

As a Cub Scout in the early sixties, I subscribed to "Boy's Life".
It was a neat magazine, and one of the features I still remember was
a series of stories about some guys that had somehow (my middle-aged
memory fails me somewhat here) come into possesion of a 'time
machine'.

A particularly vivid memory remains from a series of stories that
had the boys visiting the Jonestown flood.  I don't recall the
words; I to this day retain images in my head that the words
invoked. The images are of people helplessly swept along by a
rushing current, tumbling here and there, and gasping for breath;
the dam had been breached, their choices were limited. Get out of
the way, or be swept up in the deluge.

My point here is the dam has burst. Netscape put a crack in it.
Corel widened the crack with their commitment to porting their apps
to Linux. Inprise (Borland) worried the crack a little wider with
their Linux Interbase port. Computer Associates further weakened the
breach with a pledge to port 'Ingress' to Linux.

Now Oracle has burst the dam. Check out this Infoworld story:

http://www.infoworld.com/cgi-bin/displayStory.pl?980717.whorlinux.ht

Now I don't know about the rest of you folks, but I've been using
SOME variant of Linux since 1993. It was a curiousity then,
(Yggdrasil's plug'n'play distro), but was useful because it allowed
me to work on school *nix  assignments at home.  (And since I was
married at that time, I THOUGHT that was contributing to harmony in
the relationship... I digress).

At that time, I was an ex-Amiga fanatic, a current OS/2 fanatic, and
learning Linux (*nix). As a '40-year-old' Senior at the local
University, I had an account on the University's server, and was
preaching the 'gospel' of OS/2.

Well... we all know about that, don't we???

Linux is now perched on the edge of 'acceptance'.

And my favorite newsgroup seems to have plunged into chaos over a
bunch of acronyms and differences in philosophy...

I may or may not be your average 'Joe'. I was an electronics
technician in the USN for 11 years. That means I know how the
hardware works.

I built my first computer from a kit in 1981. I moved from "Sinclair
Basic" to "Commodore Basic" on the C=64 to CP/M on the C=128 to the
Amiga. I had CHOICES back then.

That means I know how the software works.

I have choices now; MS or NOT MS. NOT MS becomes more viable every
day with new announcements from the companies mentioned above.

NOT MS is becoming LESS viable every day  with the "QT" vs "GTK"
wars. It's becoming less viable every day with the "BSD" vs "Linux"
wars. This "Gnome" vs "KDE" stuff MUST be laid to rest.

Us "Free *nix" folks have the solution. We have the platform.

Can't we all just get along???

Dave Walker

2. Print queue on Solaris 7

3. AfterStep Logging Out Question