PPP connection

Post by Gabriel Meye » Wed, 12 Mar 1997 04:00:00

i'm VERY new at the linux OS...  I'm used to DOS and Winblowz...  I can
work my way around nicely in Linux, however, I can't seem to figure out how
to make a PPP connection to the internet...  and even if i do, what's the
easiest way to browse the web...  also, I'd like to be able to run DOS
and/or Win95 programs under linux...  is there any way to do that??  plz
reply..

Gabriel Meyer

PPP connection

Post by Thomas Eva » Wed, 12 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> i'm VERY new at the linux OS...  I'm used to DOS and Winblowz...  I can
> work my way around nicely in Linux, however, I can't seem to figure out how
> to make a PPP connection to the internet...  and even if i do, what's the
> easiest way to browse the web...  also, I'd like to be able to run DOS
> and/or Win95 programs under linux...  is there any way to do that??  plz
> reply..

cd /usr/doc
if you installed the documentation (and you should have),
you should see lots of directorys:
cd ppp, read all...
cd ../faq
more good stuff
cd howto
read DOSEMU howto
you can run windows 3.1 stuff via DOSEMU or Wine.
--

Normal disclaimer applies...

PPP connection

Post by Patrick L. Eato » Mon, 17 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> i'm VERY new at the linux OS... however, I can't seem to figure
> out how to make a PPP connection to the internet...

Having just gone through this same problem I can offer some hints,
but since I failed to keep any notes of my experience I can only
offer general advice.

1. Find out information about your internet service provider.
   Mine was pacbell.net in Southern CA.  They provide a dynamic
   PPP connection.
2. Get the latest PPP (or whatever your service uses) howto at
   http://sunsite.unc.edu/mdw/HOWTO/PPP-HOWTO.html
3. Follow these instructions step by step.

This took me about two nights to get working mostly because of going
back and forth between windows and linux (dual boot machine).

As for browsing the web I was most familiar with Netscape Navigator.
They now have a Linux version available for downloading with all the
features of the Win 3.1 version.

Good Luck

1. RH5.1 PPP connection: PPP connection persists, telnet session times out

Ever since I installed RH 5.1 when I connect to an NT Server modem
port and authenticate with PAP/CHAP the physical line connection stays
up as before (5.0) but any telnet session to Unix machines on the same
network time out on inactivity in predictably 2 minutes and 10
seconds.  Since I had no such problems prior to 5.1 I'm wondering why
this is a different animal.  Also it does not help to ping the same
server on a 10 second interval -- the ping keeps on going but again
any telnet session times out.

Would be glad to supply any additional info.  I realize that this is
pretty sketchy but I'm not sure what sort of info would assist.

Thanks,
Kurt Berg

2. Problem in printing on solaris 2.6

3. Ask ppp-on and ppp-on-dialer for ppp connection

4. Wabi on 2.4 and 386 enhanced mode

5. ppp connection terminates after connection established

6. Web Stats Software?

7. ISP connection sharing via a PPP connection with NULL-MODEM

8. Java ICQ not working

9. PPP connection works well ,while SLIP connection doesn't work,why and how?

10. Finger's Idle time on incoming PPP connections - what's the connection?

11. Slow PPP Connection But Minicom Connection Fine

12. Automatic PPP connection (usermode PPP, 2.2)

13. LINUX<(nullmodem)>Mac PPP connection; LINUX as PPP-server