Cannot find my hostname

Post by Stewart Burnet » Fri, 23 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

I've set up a Linux (Caldera 1.3) system on an essentially NT network.
My IP address is obtained from a DHCP Server.

My problem is that I don't seem to have a hostname so I can ping the Linux
machine from another using the leased IP address but not using a hostname.

Anyone got any ideas where I went wrong?

Stewart Burnett

Please remove 'nospam' from address when replying direct.

Cannot find my hostname

Post by Chuck River » Fri, 23 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I've set up a Linux (Caldera 1.3) system on an essentially NT network.
> My IP address is obtained from a DHCP Server.

> My problem is that I don't seem to have a hostname so I can ping the Linux
> machine from another using the leased IP address but not using a hostname.

> Anyone got any ideas where I went wrong?

> Stewart Burnett

> Please remove 'nospam' from address when replying direct.

  Stewart,

You can use the LISA utility to set up the networking on Linux and enter a
host name. Alternatively, you can set the host name in /ect/HOSTNAME.

What are you using for DNS? The DNS machine has to have the host name entered
into it to access it. If you are using a leased IP system, the lease must not
be a short term lease or the DNS host to IP table will not be correct when
the new lease is issued. If you have long leases, like 6 months, then the DNS
table would be correct for that time period. If you do not have a local DNS
server then I think your only option would be to enter the host name in the
local hosts file of each computer that needs access. That is not much of an
option. Let me know if this helps.

Chuck Rivers

Cannot find my hostname

Post by Stewart Burnet » Sat, 24 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Thanks for the reply Chuck,

Unfortunately It didn't work. I tried both LISA and setting the hostname in
/etc/HOSTNAME but no success. Seems when you set-up for dhcp client these
all get ignored.

We are using WINS resolution which appears to keep itself up to date with
which IP Addresses have been leased by whom.

The reason that I am persuing this is that we have a Windows NT Laptop which
gets its IP Address from a DHCP Server (6 hr lease) and we can access it
using its hostname no problem, so I was trying to do the same with my Linux
machine.

>You can use the LISA utility to set up the networking on Linux and enter a
>host name. Alternatively, you can set the host name in /ect/HOSTNAME.

>What are you using for DNS? The DNS machine has to have the host name
entered
>into it to access it. If you are using a leased IP system, the lease must
not
>be a short term lease or the DNS host to IP table will not be correct when
>the new lease is issued. If you have long leases, like 6 months, then the
DNS
>table would be correct for that time period. If you do not have a local DNS
>server then I think your only option would be to enter the host name in the
>local hosts file of each computer that needs access. That is not much of an
>option. Let me know if this helps.

>Chuck Rivers

1. hostname (net-2) cannot find hostname.

Hi there!

After Robert Baruch was so kind as to offer me words of advice,
I installed the net-2 stuff under pl10 as he outlined.  Now,
my hostname program cannot find hostname blah

I have a file /etc/HOSTNAME that contains one line with the name
surfcty in it.  I modified the /etc/rc.local file to have
the statement hostname -vS in hopes that it would find the
hostname from the right file.  Now, my prompt says (none) and
if you run hostname by itself, it says (none) as well.

What have I done?

To make matters worse, I haven't a recent backup (my own fault).

Of course, since hostname is not doing it's thing, hostcvt.build
cannot put things together properly.  And since that cannot happen,
I cannot talk to anything else (anymore).

Anyone with words of wisdom are asked (begged) to respond.

Chris

**      Chris D. Johnston               714/289-8543            **
**      Surf City Software              714/289-1002 (fax)      **

**      1095 N. Main Street, M-1, Orange, California 92667      **
**           The Cart Before the Horse?  Preposterous!          **

2. root remote logins

3. DNS cannot find hostname with first request

4. AIX: PovRay binary.

5. sendmail cannot find hostname

6. Auto-poweron...

7. hostname: can't find a FQDN for the hostname 'froz'

8. find hostname: hostname or uname -n?

9. find without the "find: cannot read dir /usr/lost+found: Permission denied"

10. Error congiguring video card --"Cannot find server, cannot continue"

11. CDE cannot login after changing hostname...