Installation of Open Linux Lite 1.2

Post by Samir Bhagw » Thu, 03 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Hi everyone,
I recently ordered a CD-ROM for OpenLinux Lite 1.2 installation. I am just
going to use it to learn more about the Linux and wish to install it on a
AMD-K6, 233 MHz machine which has Windows95.
I have following questions:
1. Is it compatible with an AMD-K6?
2. Is it compatible with Windows95?
3. Can I have both the Operating Systems going on the same machine?
4. Can anyone guide me about steps I need to follow? at least a documentation
which I could refer to?
5. Any other suggestions?
I have no background in computers and info in a very simple language will
be appreciated.
Thank you very much for your response.
Samir Bhagwat

Installation of Open Linux Lite 1.2

Post by ************* » Thu, 03 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> 1. Is it compatible with an AMD-K6?

I haven't seen any problems with Linux using the K6.
Does anyone have more detailed info?

Quote:> 2. Is it compatible with Windows95?

To a point;)
Linux needs it's own partitions to run.  You might also
want to pick up Sytem Commander Deluxe.  Does a good job
in explaining how to install so you can use Win95 or Linux.

Quote:> 3. Can I have both the Operating Systems going on the same machine?

Can you have both OSes "running" at the same time? NO.
Can you have both OSes installed on the same machine? YES!
Can you see Win95 apps in Linux? YES, if you have it
configured            correctly;)
Can you see Linux apps on Win95? Not that I know of....

Quote:> 4. Can anyone guide me about steps I need to follow? at least a documentation
> which I could refer to?
> 5. Any other suggestions?

Remember, you will need 2 partitions on the hard drive.  If you don't
know about partitioning, you need to read up on it.  One is for the
native and the other for the Linux swap.  If you have the money, get
a second computer and install Linux on that.  At least you will be able
to "trash" it without suffering major consequences.  Good comps to buy
really cheap are the ones that have a 486/586 66mhz+, S3 Video cards,
decent hard drive, modem.  That is a good beginner comp for Linux.
Since you stated that you are not a computer guru, before you even start
thinking about installing, go on the internet and read up on it.
Other people on this group will help you also.  As you can read in the
above posts, their are alot of Linux gurus in here.  You never hear
from them until someone starts a stupid post like "NT beats Linux..."

The DEMON
aka
TCP

--
        __
       /B/\

 A message said "Requires Windows 95 or better", so I installed LINUX.

Post by Kurt Wa » Fri, 04 Sep 1998 04:00:00

% Hi everyone,
% I recently ordered a CD-ROM for OpenLinux Lite 1.2 installation. I am just
% going to use it to learn more about the Linux and wish to install it on a
% AMD-K6, 233 MHz machine which has Windows95.
% I have following questions:
% 1. Is it compatible with an AMD-K6?

Yes.

% 2. Is it compatible with Windows95?

Yes, in that it doesn't care about Windows95, except for squabbling over
who gets to live in the MBR and whether or not you can access Windows'
file system.

% 3. Can I have both the Operating Systems going on the same machine?

Yes.

% 4. Can anyone guide me about steps I need to follow? at least a documentation
% which I could refer to?

Read the documentation on the CD.

% 5. Any other suggestions?

Be prepared to learn a lot about your computer and about computing.  Don't give
up

% I have no background in computers and info in a very simple language will
% be appreciated.

Have fun and good luck.

Post by David Mitchel » Fri, 04 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> Hi everyone,
> I recently ordered a CD-ROM for OpenLinux Lite 1.2 installation. I am just
> going to use it to learn more about the Linux and wish to install it on a
> AMD-K6, 233 MHz machine which has Windows95.
> I have following questions:
> 1. Is it compatible with an AMD-K6?
> 2. Is it compatible with Windows95?
> 3. Can I have both the Operating Systems going on the same machine?
> 4. Can anyone guide me about steps I need to follow? at least a documentation
> which I could refer to?
> 5. Any other suggestions?
> I have no background in computers and info in a very simple language will
> be appreciated.
> Thank you very much for your response.
> Samir Bhagwat

Hello, Samir

Most of your questions can be answered on http://www.linux.org or at sites
that are referenced there. For example, the Hardware HOWTO says about K6s:

 AMD K5 and K6 work good, although older versions of K6
should be avoided as they are buggy.

You can get Caldera-specific information on their web site. Good luck and
have fun.

--
David Mitchell
 Fair-traded, Shade-grown, Certified Organic Coffee at http://www.bosia.org

  Go to Caldera website  at www.caldera.com
 then go to ----> support ---->Manual
Pick the manual for OpenLinux.  That maual is useful even it is not said
specificly
for OpenLinux Lite.

Att

Post by Drakme » Mon, 07 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>> Hi everyone,
>> I recently ordered a CD-ROM for OpenLinux Lite 1.2 installation. I am just
>> going to use it to learn more about the Linux and wish to install it on a
>> AMD-K6, 233 MHz machine which has Windows95.
>> I have following questions:
>> 2. Is it compatible with Windows95?
>> 3. Can I have both the Operating Systems going on the same machine?
>> 4. Can anyone guide me about steps I need to follow? at least a documentation
>> which I could refer to?
>> 5. Any other suggestions?
>> I have no background in computers and info in a very simple language will
>> be appreciated.
>> Thank you very much for your response.
>> Samir Bhagwat

2. Yes, Linux is compatible with Win 95.  Linux reads and writes to my win
partition easily.  I can't seems to convince Windows that Linux exists,
however.
3. Yes!, not at the same time.
4. Hundreds and hundreds... Look in Yahoo.  You're going to have to pick
up a few books, however.

All obnoxious threads will be kill filed, rather
than banging my head into a wall.
Beware of Sarcasm, and General Stupidity
Beware, my News Reader doesn't Justify itself.
QUOTE YOUR RESPONSES, Look at it
this way, I am going to rant at you, so at
least let me know what your talking about.
(News Newsreader, .sig pending)
<No, thats not a typo.>

Post by Matthew Roccell » Fri, 18 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> % Hi everyone,
> % I recently ordered a CD-ROM for OpenLinux Lite 1.2 installation. I am just
> % going to use it to learn more about the Linux and wish to install it on a
> % AMD-K6, 233 MHz machine which has Windows95.
> % I have following questions:
> % 1. Is it compatible with an AMD-K6?

> Haven't tried it on a K6. But I have gotten it to run on 486's and Pentiums
> without a hitch.

> % 2. Is it compatible with Windows95?

> It DOES work with Windows 95 as long as you are NOT using FAT-32, which comes
> with the OSR2 version. The OSR2 version of Windows 95 comes with bug fixes and
> FAT-32. It alsoenables larger hard drives without having to repartition. It is
> ONLY available on new computers. You cannot buy it in a store. If you are running
> FAT-32, FIPS won't let you repartition the hard drive.
> % 3. Can I have both the Operating Systems going on the same machine?
> As long as you're NOT running FAT-32, you're fine. I believe Windows98 is all
> FAT-32. I haven't tried sharing a drive with Windows98. Because of FAT32, I don't
> think you can!. If I had to decide which operating system to keep, I'd choose
> LINUX easily over Windows! LINUX works and the software is much better.
> StarOffice, which comes in the box with Caldera OpenLinux Base is pretty cool and
> is worth the money to upgrade.

> % 4. Can anyone guide me about steps I need to follow? at least a documentation
> % which I could refer to?

> The CD is a good place to start. Many book stores have tons of LINUX books.You
> can also go http://www.linux.org web site as they have a lot of news, FAQ's, and
> documentation to read. Also, htpp://www.caldera.com has news, updates, and
> patches.
> % 5. Any other suggestions?

> Be patient and don't give up. Once you get LINUX running, you'll never want to go
> back to Windows. Do a lot of reading and don't be afraid to experiment. Most of
> all, write down any important settings, especially network and video settings. If
> you have to start all over, at least you won't have to start from scratch. Just
> pop the install disk in and go.

Good luck and have lots of fun.

Post by Bill Unr » Fri, 18 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>> % Hi everyone,
>> % I recently ordered a CD-ROM for OpenLinux Lite 1.2 installation. I am just
>> % going to use it to learn more about the Linux and wish to install it on a
>> % AMD-K6, 233 MHz machine which has Windows95.
>> % I have following questions:
>> % 1. Is it compatible with an AMD-K6?

>> Haven't tried it on a K6. But I have gotten it to run on 486's and Pentiums
>> without a hitch.

>> % 2. Is it compatible with Windows95?

Depends on what you mean. Can one have both Linux and Win95 on the same
disk? Yes. (Although if you try to install Win95 after Linux, it will
remove LILO, the OS selector, from the Master BNoot Record, and you then
have to reinstall it)
Can the two read each other's partitions? No win95 canot read the Linux
file system. However Linux can read (and write I believe) the FAT32 file
system. And both can read and write FAT16 file systems.

The main problem you have is to repartition the drive. You can erase
your Win95 and repartition and reinstall (eg from a backup) or you can
get one of those repartitioning tools (eg PartitionMagic at least 3.0)
which can shrink your Win partition and leave room for the Linux
partitions. --You can repartition that free  space with the Linux FDisk

Quote:>> % 3. Can I have both the Operating Systems going on the same machine?

Yes. Of course not running at the same time however. (ie you can't
simply "hot-key" switch between the two operating systems as far as I
know.

Quote:>> % 4. Can anyone guide me about steps I need to follow? at least a documentation
>> % which I could refer to?

Repartition your hard drive a la the above-- you need at least two
partitions for Linux- one of 50-100M for swap, and a larger for the
operating system itself. Both can be logical partitions. They can be in
whatever drive as well (they may have to be one one of the first two
drives due to bios limitations). Linux does not use the stupid DOS C:
D:,... scheme.
Then use the Linux FDisk ( it will be called up during the Linux
installation procedure) to make the one a linux swap partition and the
other the / partition. Just make sure that yuo do not use the linux
fdisk to do anything to the Win partition.

Then install Linux, and when the lilo choices come up, make one of the
choices be the Win system, and other Linux. It will make linux the
prefered OS, but after installation, you can edit /et/lilo.conf to put
the Win95 entry first, rerun lilo and then Win95 will be the default.
If you are feeling unsure, tell lilo to put the boot record onto a
floppy disk rather than onto the master boot record. Then when you want
to boot linux, put in the floppy first. (It is useful to make one of
these for when you do something with Win which causes it to rewirte the
Master Boot record, so you can then boot Linux to correct the MBR)

Installation of Open Linux Lite 1.2

Post by Derek Fig » Fri, 18 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I know that Partition Magic and other commercial programs can do the trick,
but can a freeware program like fips repartition a FAT32 drive without
erasing the original partition?
Quote:

>The main problem you have is to repartition the drive. You can erase
>your Win95 and repartition and reinstall (eg from a backup) or you can
>get one of those repartitioning tools (eg PartitionMagic at least 3.0)
>which can shrink your Win partition and leave room for the Linux
>partitions. --You can repartition that free  space with the Linux FDisk

Installation of Open Linux Lite 1.2

Post by Hans Verbee » Sat, 19 Sep 1998 04:00:00

The new FIPS 2.0 can repartition a FAT32 partition. See the FIPS
documentation for the correct URL.
(The RedHat 5.1 CD has version 1.5 on the CD, don't use that for a FAT32
partition!)

Greetings,
[Hans Verbeek]

>I know that Partition Magic and other commercial programs can do the trick,
>but can a freeware program like fips repartition a FAT32 drive without
>erasing the original partition?

Installation of Open Linux Lite 1.2

Post by David Lipsco » Sat, 26 Sep 1998 04:00:00

On Fri, 18 Sep 1998 12:02:19 +0200, "Hans Verbeek"

>The new FIPS 2.0 can repartition a FAT32 partition. See the FIPS
>documentation for the correct URL.
>(The RedHat 5.1 CD has version 1.5 on the CD, don't use that for a FAT32
>partition!)

>Greetings,
>[Hans Verbeek]

>>I know that Partition Magic and other commercial programs can do the trick,
>>but can a freeware program like fips repartition a FAT32 drive without
>>erasing the original partition?

Although this is scarcely satisfactory, I have found that Linux can
co-exist with Win 95. The trick is to boot from a floppy, then to use
fdisk to set the active partition to the one you want to use, then
reboot. This requires 2 boots to get from one to another, but for
someone who is slowly weaning himself away from Win95, it is a
workable way of doing that.

Dave

Post by John Arrowwoo » Sat, 26 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> On Fri, 18 Sep 1998 12:02:19 +0200, "Hans Verbeek"

> >The new FIPS 2.0 can repartition a FAT32 partition. See the FIPS
> >documentation for the correct URL.
> >(The RedHat 5.1 CD has version 1.5 on the CD, don't use that for a FAT32
> >partition!)

> >Greetings,
> >[Hans Verbeek]

> >>I know that Partition Magic and other commercial programs can do the trick,
> >>but can a freeware program like fips repartition a FAT32 drive without
> >>erasing the original partition?

> Although this is scarcely satisfactory, I have found that Linux can
> co-exist with Win 95. The trick is to boot from a floppy, then to use
> fdisk to set the active partition to the one you want to use, then
> reboot. This requires 2 boots to get from one to another, but for
> someone who is slowly weaning himself away from Win95, it is a
> workable way of doing that.

Workable, but inconvenient.  I spent the money on System Commander,
which handles it for you.  System Commander can also help you choose
between different configurations of Windows or Dos, too, rather than
using Microsoft's kludgey multi-config...

Of course, if you don't have the money to buy that, then the boot
floppy works, too.  Alternatively, you *MIGHT* be able to use
the linux fdisk to set the active partition, or if not, you *MIGHT*
be able to use the DOSEMU to run the dos fdisk, saving an extra
boot when going back to Windoze.  And of course, you don't need to
use the floppy to go to Linux, because you can run FDISK from
Windows95 and change the active partition with no problem.

Installation of Open Linux Lite 1.2

Post by David Lipsco » Sun, 27 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Workable, but inconvenient.  I spent the money on System Commander,
>which handles it for you.  System Commander can also help you choose
>between different configurations of Windows or Dos, too, rather than
>using Microsoft's kludgey multi-config...

>Of course, if you don't have the money to buy that, then the boot
>floppy works, too.  Alternatively, you *MIGHT* be able to use
>the linux fdisk to set the active partition, or if not, you *MIGHT*
>be able to use the DOSEMU to run the dos fdisk, saving an extra
>boot when going back to Windoze.  And of course, you don't need to
>use the floppy to go to Linux, because you can run FDISK from
>Windows95 and change the active partition with no problem.

I will also be trying Partition Magic as soon as I can get to it ...

Dave

Post by ingenui » Sun, 27 Sep 1998 04:00:00

The trick is to boot from a floppy, then to use

Quote:> fdisk to set the active partition to the one you want to use, then
> reboot. This requires 2 boots....

You are doing it the hard way:  Just have *Linux* boot from a floppy
*all* the time:

Make yourself a linux boot floppy using: "lilo -b bootdev=/dev/fd0".
This will boot your Linux partition directly from the floppy, completely
bypassing the need to use fdisk to set the bootable partition.
Let Win95 boot off the HD in its usual way, then put your Linux boot
floppy in the floppy drive and restart to boot Linux. This only works
if your machine's boot order is floppy first which is normal.

This is also something of a security measure for your Linux partition,
in that when you don't want someone to be able to tamper with or even
see
your Linux installation, you just take your Linux boot floppy out and
hide it.  Of course, anyone who knows what they are doing could
certainly
use fdisk to set the Linux partition bootable, but generally, it makes
Linux, "out of sight, out of mind".

Best Wishes,

AT.

Installation of Open Linux Lite 1.2

Post by David Lipsco » Mon, 28 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Make yourself a linux boot floppy using: "lilo -b bootdev=/dev/fd0".
>This will boot your Linux partition directly from the floppy, completely
>bypassing the need to use fdisk to set the bootable partition.
>Let Win95 boot off the HD in its usual way, then put your Linux boot
>floppy in the floppy drive and restart to boot Linux. This only works
>if your machine's boot order is floppy first which is normal.

>This is also something of a security measure for your Linux partition,
>in that when you don't want someone to be able to tamper with or even
>see
>your Linux installation, you just take your Linux boot floppy out and
>hide it.  Of course, anyone who knows what they are doing could
>certainly
>use fdisk to set the Linux partition bootable, but generally, it makes
>Linux, "out of sight, out of mind".

A good idea that I will implement. Thanks for the suggestion.

Dave