viewing network traffic

Post by nick hann » Thu, 02 Mar 2000 04:00:00

g'day all,

i've just set up a Linux box (RedHat 6.1) with ipchains to connect all the
computers at work to the internet... I have a couple of questions...

1. How can I view the internet <-> network traffic ?? does anyone know the
name of any apps (even X ones) that may be able to display this? (sortof
like Wingate on Windows)...

2. Am using the 'demand' and 'idle' options with pppd which are working
fine... However whenever I run pppd it dials straight away. It's all setup
fine, it's the *y windows machines that make it connect straight away as
when i pull the linux box out of the network (physically), it doesn't dial
(unless I send any internet traffic obviously)... As soon as I plug the
cable back in, surely enough it starts to dial out. I've setup a caching
name server with 'named' and the DNS and gateway on all the windows machines
are set pointing to the linux box... (it still dialled straight away before
I setup named)... What exactly are those windows machines doing?? (No apps
are open on them)... Is there anything I can do so that it only dials out
when someone uses an internet app (Netscape, Mail, ICQ)... It also stops the
modem from* up after the timeout set by 'idle', so it never
disconnects!

thanks all :)

nick.

1. Viewing traffic flow

hello,

I was wondering if there was a way to view the traffic flow across a TCP
connection.  Note: I am not a superuser.

The application for which this is to be used is to find out why the TCP
connect runs slow in one direction of data flow, and quick in the other;
a difference of about x100.

2. Ultrastor 14N: How?

3. How to view network, loopback packets in network?

4. fetchmail preconnect keyword

5. Network blocks randomly (no traffic) network restart makes it work again

6. Linux Live again

7. konqueror View->View Mode->Kmozilla error?

8. problem with "attach"

9. samba: 'net view \\server' works, 'net view' fails

10. looking for a traffic LAN sniffer, able to archive traffic

11. PPP: Does outgoing traffic slow incoming traffic?

12. Traffic Control traffic unexpectedly dipping

13. setting an interface for up traffic and a second for down traffic