Kismet can't capture traffic with Netgear WG511T

Kismet can't capture traffic with Netgear WG511T

Post by ├ángel Catal » Wed, 26 Jul 2006 19:58:03

Hello,

I used to use Kismet with a Cisco Aironet PCM352 and worked fine.
Recently I have purchased a Netgeat WG511T with Atheros chipset. I have
downloaded latest madwifi-ng drivers (both stable and developer
versions) and compiled.

I can use Netgear card with my PowerPC Powerbook with YelloDog with
kernel 2.6.8, and I can associate with my AP and use it, but when I try
to use Kismet 2006-04-R1 version I am able to run Kismet, but I can not
capture any packet. When I run kismet both LEDs on Netgear card blink at
1 Hz (more or less), when I stop kismet then just one of them remain on.
I have tried destroy ath0 managed mode before running kismet, and
nothing else happens.

When Kismet starts, it creates a new monitor interface called "kis". If
you type "ifconfig kis", you can see that kis interface is receiving
packets, but those packets do not arrive to kismet, or at least I can
not see them.

My configuration kismet.conf file is:

  version=2005.06.R1
  servername=Kismet
  suiduser=(my login name)
  source=madwifi_g,wifi0,Netgear
  channelhop=true
  channelvelocity=5
  channelsplit=false
  defaultchannels=IEEE80211g:1,6,11,2,7,3,8,4,9,5,10
  tcpport=2501
  allowedhosts=127.0.0.1
  bindaddress=127.0.0.1
  maxclients=5
  gps=false

I have tried to destroy non-monitor mode VAPs before running kismet,
even I have created a monitor VAP prior to running it although it is not
necessary because kismet creates one.

  Thanks

1. NETGEAR WG511T PC Card @ Linux 2.4.20-31.9 (RedHat).

Dear newsgroup,

I am trying to get the PC Card WG511T from NETGEAR to work on my laptop
with Linux 2.4.20-31.9. I have also roamed the net for info. This has all
been without success. Does anybody have *any* input to give in this
situation, or where to turn in order to learn more about it?

Regards,
Peter Jansson
http://jansson.net/

2. Big names bang Linux drum

3. Netgear WG511T Wireless card in Mandrake 10.1

4. Sony CPD-1730

5. mirrored port can't capture traffic in promisc mode

6. help setting a firewall

7. WG511T obviously doen't work ... ?

8. Profiling with libm?

9. It's not bad canned meat...

10. problem with D-link DWL 650, Debian and Kismet doesn't find any networks

11. Network traffic capture, and rotating files with compression

12. LAN Traffic capture