Data/Fax/Voice Modem?

Post by Micheal Stanl » Tue, 05 Dec 1995 04:00:00

I recently saw a modem at Computer City which acts as an answering
center (modem blaster I think was the name?).  It can detect if it
is a voice or fax call (not sure about data), and handle it accordingly.
It has voicemail for voice calls, and receives, sends, displays and logs
faxes.  I understand U.S. Robotics has something similar.

Problem is however, these devices come with sofware which runs under
windows.  I am curious if existing software packages for Linux can be used
with these modems.  I would like to be able to receive data, fax, and
voice calls.  I don't care too much about the voice mail (for now, since I
don't have sufficient disk space) as long as I can also hook up an
answering machine to handle voice calls.

Is it possible?  Is there an FAQ which might give me an idea how to make
this work?

Thanks,
Michael

Data/Fax/Voice Modem?

Post by Edmund H. Ra » Thu, 07 Dec 1995 04:00:00

> [...]
>windows.  I am curious if existing software packages for Linux can be used
>with these modems.  I would like to be able to receive data, fax, and
>voice calls.  I don't care too much about the voice mail (for now, since I
> [...]

   You want to try mgetty+sendfax, no doubt.

   rgds, Eddi
--

               Linux/m68k, the best U**x ever to hit an Atari!
    Distribution of this message via the Microsoft Network is prohibited

1. ESS ES56V-X Data Fax Voice Modem

Greetings!

I will be installing Linux Mandrake soon, and am doinfg a bit of a
compatiability search for my current hardware.  My modem is what
appears in the subject line, and I guess I'm wondering if this will
work under Linux.

I have visited the "winmodem" site, and didn't see mine listed, but
just want to make sure it *isn't* a winmdem.  Would anyone be able to
tell me for sure?

TIA.

2. Help please: Pharlap cross development

3. dim video display

4. A question about AcerModem 56Kbps Internal Data/Fax/Voice modem

5. dd blocksize

6. Recommendation for Data/Fax/Voice Modem for Redhat 9

7. gzip 1.2.4

8. Cirrus CLM Data Fax Voice Modem + Linux

9. 56Kbps Dual-Mode Zoom 2925 Data/Voice/Fax Modem

10. Linux and Fax/Data/Voice Modem

11. Can't get Boca internal 56K voice/data/fax modem to work