Where is ipautofw?

Post by Jay Dosche » Tue, 23 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I can't find ipautofw in my /sbin.  I recompiled an 'everything' install of
Redhat 5.1 and recompiled, adding 'ipautofw [experimental]' and 'ip always
defragment' and did a successful recompile of
'make dep ; make clean ; make zImage ; make modules ; make modules_install ;
make zlilo'
and then I do all the lilo fun stuff.  but when it's all said and done,
/sbin still doesn't have ipautofw in it.  I have built a machine before with
a veery similar config and it showed up after the recompile.....   help!

jay

Where is ipautofw?

Post by Tobias Reckhard (jest » Tue, 23 Feb 1999 04:00:00

[snip]

Quote:>'make dep ; make clean ; make zImage ; make modules ; make modules_install ;
>make zlilo'

Isn't that overdoing it a little? I thought the zlilo target made a
zImage, copied it to /vmlinuz, renaming the old one to /vmlinuz.old
and replaced the latter with the former as the first one in
/etc/lilo.conf, rerunning lilo for the changes to take effect. I
didn't think you needed to 'make zImage' before that (while I prefer
to make zImage and rename the new kernel to something more
descriptive).

Quote:>and then I do all the lilo fun stuff.  but when it's all said and done,
>/sbin still doesn't have ipautofw in it.  I have built a machine before with
>a veery similar config and it showed up after the recompile.....   help!

I don't think so. Ipautofw support in the kernel does only that, it
prepares the kernel for ipautofw. You need to get the ipautofw source
separately. The help button in make menuconfig says that it's
available at ftp://ftp.netis.com/pub/members/r*/.

HTH
Tobias

says...

I admire your passion, Chris..

The only issues which have kept myself from looking seriously at Linux
would be:

* It's Unix and the learning curve to start getting productive strikes me
as probably very steep

* It doesn't support plug-and-play.  If your hardware doesn't have Linux
drivers, it don't play..

* Not nearly the amount of developers out there doing stuff for Linux as
there are for Wintel.  Can I get MS Office for Linux?  Can I get
Photoshop for Linux?  Can I get QuarkXpress for Linux? etc.. a big turn
off for me.

--
Reuben King
Email: "reuben at texas dot net" (in plain english to foil spam-bots.

2. How do you upgrade XFree86 ?

3. Solaris Web Site

5. lpd config problem

6. Am I touchy? Or am I right?