the eXceed, ssh, firewall and lan challenge

the eXceed, ssh, firewall and lan challenge

Post by Simon For » Mon, 21 Jan 2002 08:31:26

Hi All,

I'm hoping someone could help explain to me how i go about operating some
cad software (magic) from a remote linux box on my local machine.  All the
software + my account/filestore are on a remote machine, i just want to
operate it locally!

I've heard you can use ssh to tunnel x-displays (or whatever its actually
called), but haven't managed to do it. I have installed eXceed and Tera Term
with the TTSSH addition for windows on the local machine.

My setup is...

[A.myWinXPcomputer (192.168.0.2)]

(lan)

[B.linux box (192.168.0.10) with firewall]

(internet)

[C.remote linux machine]

(lan)

[D.remote linux cad server]

Could someone explain to me what i need to setup to make this work? I think
i want to tunnel from my local machine to the remote cad machine using ssh,
but i'm not really sure. I can also quite happily use exceed to run kde on
the local linux box and use it from my windoze machine, if this may be a
better part to the solution.

Obviously A+B are in my house so i can add software to either if really
necessary, but i can't see why.  I'm assuming some of the problem is the lan
as i seem to remeber being able to do it with my win box connected directly
to the internet through a modem. Also, the firewall won't accept connections
e.g 6000 which i think is significant from what i read but hopefully not a
problem using ssh. I'm still fairly new to the joys of networking and linux
though!

Hope someone can explain all about X11 forwarding and all the other stuff
i've read!

Thanks for your time,

Simon ;o)

1. the eXceed, ssh, firewall and lan challenge (with the correct date)

[...]

2. Linux Music Software Site

3. Firewall/Mail challenge on large corporate LAN- help needed

4. hardware reccomendations

5. Help on firewall ruleset for routing X (Exceed) thru the Linux firewall

6. array in for - in loop

7. Which signal is used to end session by TIMEOUT expired?

8. SSH client disconnects when performing certain commandline utilities (AIX 4.3.3) - SSH of Firewall problem ?

9. SSH Through a firewall to gain access to a firewalled network

10. SSH takes an age to present password challenge

11. challenging question: DISPLAY variable on heterogenous LAN

12. Instructions for the SSH challenged ....