DNS & DHCP

Post by root » Fri, 14 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

  Have you tried calling you ISP and asking them?  If they won't tell you,
I'd be very surpassed.   If they still won't tell you, the Linux command to
find out the name servers (NS) is:

         dig   insert_isp_name_here  NS
example:   dig  collegemail.com  NS

  You may have to do it from a friends (Linux) computer.

Have fun!
--Tony

> Hello Everybody.

> I have a Linux Box that I want to set up for use on the net.

> I have set it up to the stage where it will dial and connect, but I am
> unable to do anything once online.

> The ISP I am using does not give out IP numbers for it's DNS servers.

> The machine also runs Windows '98, which is set to "server assigned name
> server addresses".

> However, I don't know how to do this with Linux. Somebody suggested using a
> dhcp client on the machine, but I don't know how to get it all to work.

> Please help?!

> Bye!

> _oo_

DNS & DHCP

Post by _oo_ » Sat, 15 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Hello Everybody.

I have a Linux Box that I want to set up for use on the net.

I have set it up to the stage where it will dial and connect, but I am
unable to do anything once online.

The ISP I am using does not give out IP numbers for it's DNS servers.

The machine also runs Windows '98, which is set to "server assigned name
server addresses".

However, I don't know how to do this with Linux. Somebody suggested using a
dhcp client on the machine, but I don't know how to get it all to work.

Please help?!

Bye!

_oo_

DNS & DHCP

Post by Raymond Doetje » Sat, 15 Jan 2000 04:00:00

You can also find out the ip addresses from the DNS server from your Win98 box

Just strat the application winipcfg and you will see what the DNS numbers are.
Then put these numbers in to your /etc/resolv.conf file.
You can also use a DNS server from any other provider since quering is allowed
on all off them (still perhaps that will change with BIND 8, wich is'nt very
widespread under ISP's)

Raymond

> Hello Everybody.

> I have a Linux Box that I want to set up for use on the net.

> I have set it up to the stage where it will dial and connect, but I am
> unable to do anything once online.

> The ISP I am using does not give out IP numbers for it's DNS servers.

> The machine also runs Windows '98, which is set to "server assigned name
> server addresses".

> However, I don't know how to do this with Linux. Somebody suggested using a
> dhcp client on the machine, but I don't know how to get it all to work.

> Please help?!

> Bye!

> _oo_

DNS & DHCP

Post by Rod Smi » Sat, 15 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

> You can also use a DNS server from any other provider since quering is allowed
> on all off them

This isn't always true. ISPs can block DNS access via firewalls, for
instance. It's uncommon, true, but it can be done. It's also a bit rude to
use another ISP's DNS servers.

--

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~smithrod
Author of books on Linux networking & WordPerfect for Linux

DNS & DHCP

Post by Dale Ponti » Sat, 15 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Hello Everybody.

> I have a Linux Box that I want to set up for use on the net.

> I have set it up to the stage where it will dial and connect, but I am
> unable to do anything once online.

> The ISP I am using does not give out IP numbers for it's DNS servers.

> The machine also runs Windows '98, which is set to "server assigned name
> server addresses".

> However, I don't know how to do this with Linux. Somebody suggested using a
> dhcp client on the machine, but I don't know how to get it all to work.

In the newer releases of pppd there is an option to get the nameserver
address from the system you've connected to. Other than the fact that
exists, I don't remember specifics.

You add an option to pppd when you invoke it. When it connects, it
gets the nameserver address and writes it to a file formatted for
resolv.conf. A little script magic, and you're set up.

Unless you're like me, running a caching nameserver with 'forward'
statements. Then it simply takes a little different script magic.

But at home, my ISP gives us the nameserver address.

Dale Pontius
NOT speaking for IBM

DNS & DHCP

Post by Carl Fi » Sun, 16 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

>The ISP I am using does not give out IP numbers for it's DNS servers.

Do they use DHCP, as you mention in the subject line but nowhere in
your actual message?  Red Hat has created (and GPL'ed) a program
called "pump" that uses DHCP to get your IP address and also assigns
name servers by rewriting /etc/resolv.conf.  I have no idea if it'll
work with PPP (I use it with an Ethernet card) but you could
certainly check.
--

Manager, Dueling Modems Computer Forum
<http://dm.net>

DNS & DHCP

Post by S. Par » Thu, 24 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> Hello Everybody.

> I have a Linux Box that I want to set up for use on the net.

> I have set it up to the stage where it will dial and connect, but I am
> unable to do anything once online.

> The ISP I am using does not give out IP numbers for it's DNS servers.

> The machine also runs Windows '98, which is set to "server assigned name
> server addresses".

> However, I don't know how to do this with Linux. Somebody suggested using a
> dhcp client on the machine, but I don't know how to get it all to work.

> Please help?!

> Bye!

> _oo_

If you can connect the ISP with Windoze, run (Start-Run) "winipcfg.exe."
It will show the DNS server names with other stuffs.
Cheers.

DNS & DHCP

Post by Robert A. Wick » Thu, 24 Feb 2000 04:00:00

You should probably set up a caching-only DNS server on the Linux box so
that it won't matter what settings you get from the ISP.  Check out
http://howto.tucows.com/LDP/HOWTO/DNS-HOWTO.html for a step-by-step guide to
setting up a caching-only DNS server.  Just set Linux up to use 127.0.0.1 as
the DNS after you do it, and you're done.

> > Hello Everybody.

> > I have a Linux Box that I want to set up for use on the net.

> > I have set it up to the stage where it will dial and connect, but I am
> > unable to do anything once online.

> > The ISP I am using does not give out IP numbers for it's DNS servers.

> > The machine also runs Windows '98, which is set to "server assigned name
> > server addresses".

> > However, I don't know how to do this with Linux. Somebody suggested
using a
> > dhcp client on the machine, but I don't know how to get it all to work.

> > Please help?!

> > Bye!

> > _oo_
> If you can connect the ISP with Windoze, run (Start-Run) "winipcfg.exe."
> It will show the DNS server names with other stuffs.
> Cheers.

1. Help: Dynamic DNS & DHCP

Anyone know how to get Dynamic DNS (nsupdate) to work? I probably have a
config problem, but I can't find it.

I have our subnet configured with the "allow-update" option set in the
named.conf. The log file shows "Dynamic zone file db.192.168.10 is
writable", so it appears writable.

The allow-update option is set to the ip address of the dns server (which is
the same server the nsupdate program is run from)

But when I send the update, I get the following message: (the domains and IP
addresses have been changed to protect the guilty).

res_mkupdate: packet size = 49
;; res_send()
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: UPDATE, status: NOERROR, id: 4462
;; flags:; ZONE: 1, PREREQUISITE: 0, UPDATE: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0
;;      qdot.com, type = SOA, class = IN
qwq.qdot.com.        3w6d19h46m40s IN A  192.168.10.5
;; Querying server (# 1) address = 192.168.10.20
server rejected query:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: UPDATE, status: REFUSED, id: 4462
;; flags: qr ra; ZONE: 1, PREREQUISITE: 0, UPDATE: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0
;;      qdot.com, type = SOA, class = IN
qwq.qdot.com.        3w6d19h46m40s IN A  10.1.6.5
;; Querying server (# 2) address = 138.58.53.22
;; got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: UPDATE, status: NOTAUTH, id: 4462
;; flags: qr ra; ZONE: 0, PREREQUISITE: 0, UPDATE: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

This message shows the update was refused, but the log clearly shows that
the zone is writable (log not listed).

2. Linux device driver writing

3. dynamic dns & dhcp

4. Newsgroup about NFS client on W95

5. DNS & DHCP hardware sizing

6. Enable remote login for root?

7. how dns & dhcp work together ???

8. Problem mounting audio cdrom

9. DNS & DHCP

10. Redhat 9.0 dhcp client & windows 2003 dhcp server: dynamic dns update

11. dhcp apache & dynamic DNS

12. DHCP & DNS Question