How to mount a Mac volume on Linux?

Post by Larry P » Wed, 16 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Hi, all.

   I can mount the Linux volumes with netatalk by Mac's chooser.  But, is
there a way that I can mount Mac volumes on Linux machine??
   Thanks.

-Larry Pai

--
Dr. Larry Pai
Tel: 423-576-6718

Solid State Division
Oak Ridge National Laboratory

Post by Miguel Cr » Thu, 17 Apr 1997 04:00:00

>   I can mount the Linux volumes with netatalk by Mac's chooser.  But, is
>there a way that I can mount Mac volumes on Linux machine??

I am quite certain that this is not possible.

miguel

Post by Jude Giampao » Thu, 17 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> >   I can mount the Linux volumes with netatalk by Mac's chooser.  But, is
> >there a way that I can mount Mac volumes on Linux machine??

> I am quite certain that this is not possible.

Don't be so certain!

http://prozac.eeap.cwru.edu/jude/macnfs/Macnfsd.html

Not the perfect solution, but it works.

--
Jude Giampaolo -- Penn State University -- Electrical Engineering

How to mount a Mac volume on Linux?

Post by Miguel Cr » Thu, 17 Apr 1997 04:00:00

>> I am quite certain that this is not possible.
>Don't be so certain!
>http://prozac.eeap.cwru.edu/jude/macnfs/Macnfsd.html

Okay, well, I am not aware of any way to mount arbitrary Mac volumes
from Linux. Which is a shame, because it would be very convenient.

miguel

How to mount a Mac volume on Linux?

Post by Jude Giampao » Thu, 17 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> >> I am quite certain that this is not possible.
> >Don't be so certain!
> >http://prozac.eeap.cwru.edu/jude/macnfs/Macnfsd.html

> Okay, well, I am not aware of any way to mount arbitrary Mac volumes
> from Linux. Which is a shame, because it would be very convenient.

If I had the time I'd work on it as it would be really nice. Maybe this
summer....

--

Post by Konstantinos Xon » Sat, 19 Apr 1997 04:00:00

: >> I am quite certain that this is not possible.
: >Don't be so certain!
: >http://www.veryComputer.com/

: Okay, well, I am not aware of any way to mount arbitrary Mac volumes
: from Linux. Which is a shame, because it would be very convenient.

: miguel

AFAIK, there are some Mac-HFS drivers for OS/2, they come with sources,
maybe someone could get working on it, and port it to Linux...
Shouldn't be that difficult, but who's asking me ??
(I did not even looked at it, but that might be solvable)

Just get your crawler, or archie running and look for hfs[0-9]+.zip

-
Konstantinos XONIS (XAKChaos of XAK-Design Wetzlar)
Snail Mail:         E-mail:

Buderusstrasse 14   FAX: +49 6441 42504 or +49 6441 417663
D35576 Wetzlar      TEL: +49 6441 36739
FR Germany
(Bomb plutonium *e XTC whitehouse Iraq terror kill kokain * uran)

OMA !!! Stoer mich jetzt nicht, ich fliege !!

How to mount a Mac volume on Linux?

Post by Holger Dunk » Sat, 19 Apr 1997 04:00:00

try http://www.veryComputer.com/~hargrove/HFS/
The newest official release, hfs_fs-0.8.4

I tried floppies, CD-roms, Syquest-meda and jaz-media.
The 0.8.4 version seems to be quite reliable.

hope this helps
                Holger Dunkel

>: >> I am quite certain that this is not possible.
>: >Don't be so certain!
>: >http://www.veryComputer.com/
>: Okay, well, I am not aware of any way to mount arbitrary Mac volumes
>: from Linux. Which is a shame, because it would be very convenient.
>: miguel
>AFAIK, there are some Mac-HFS drivers for OS/2, they come with sources,
>maybe someone could get working on it, and port it to Linux...
>Shouldn't be that difficult, but who's asking me ??
>(I did not even looked at it, but that might be solvable)
>Just get your crawler, or archie running and look for hfs[0-9]+.zip
>--
>--
>-
>Konstantinos XONIS (XAKChaos of XAK-Design Wetzlar)
>Snail Mail:         E-mail:

>Buderusstrasse 14   FAX: +49 6441 42504 or +49 6441 417663
>D35576 Wetzlar          TEL: +49 6441 36739
>FR Germany
>(Bomb plutonium *e XTC whitehouse Iraq terror kill kokain * uran)
>OMA !!! Stoer mich jetzt nicht, ich fliege !!

--

IV. Physikalisches Institut      | Phone: (Germany) 0551/39-7699
37073 Goettingen/Germany         | native language: German

Post by Miguel Cr » Sun, 20 Apr 1997 04:00:00

>try http://www-sccm.stanford.edu/~hargrove/HFS/
>The newest official release, hfs_fs-0.8.4
>I tried floppies, CD-roms, Syquest-meda and jaz-media.

HFS-FS works great, but we were discussing the possibility of mounting
AFS volumes across the network - AppleShare file servers, that sort of
thing.

miguel

1. Linux <--> Mac Best way to mount NFS volume on a Mac or....?

I have an ethernet network, a Netware 3.12 file server and a mixture of
Linux, Mac and DOS/Windows PC's.

My most urgent need is simple "drag & drop" file sharing between the Mac
and the Linux box to exchange HTML and misc. graphics files for Web
authoring.  We primarily use the Mac because the name-space matches the
Linux name space more closely.

Is the best way to mount a Linux NFS file system on a Mac?

I am also open to the possibility of mounting the Netware server as an
NFS volume on the Linux box w/ Netware NFS and exchanging files that way,
but will I get stuck with an 8.3 name-space?  The doc's I saw weren't
clear but implied this limitation....

And, anybody have any suggestions for better ways to convert Mac text
files to Linux text files (the ^M, CR/LF thing..)?  I heve yet to see an
elegant solution...

John FX Berns
FX Multimedia

www.fxmm.com

Join CAIS: The Chicago Area Internet Society, for info:
http://www.fxmm.com/cais/

2. ASUS P/I-P55TP4XE with Super I/O PCI/ISA/ASUS MediaBus Pentium

3. How do I mount a Mac volume or export a partition to a Mac?

4. IP Question???

5. Mounting a Mac volume on Linux???

6. Emailer for Open Server 5

7. Mounting Mac Volume

8. DVD Issue !

9. How to mount AIX volume on Mac?

10. Mounting Volume Manager File Systems without the Volume Manager software

11. ext2 partition, filesystem management - fstab, mount, volume-label, volume-name

12. Netware Mount - no file truncation on mounted volume.

13. Mounting Novel 4.x, 5.x volume on Debian Linux