Mail forwarding

Mail forwarding

Post by Weiping H » Wed, 12 Sep 2001 12:13:05



Dear all,
I'm running a linux mail server on Caldera Linux 2.0.  I noticed the
following error in /var/log/mail file:

<hostname> sendmail[2585]: DAA02584: DAA02585: DSN: Local configur
ation error

where <hostname> is the server name.  What does it mean?  What should I
do to solve the problem?  I'm familiar with the Linux system as a user
but don't know much about the system, so please provide more detailed
explanation.

Thank you for helping.

Weiping

 
 
 

Mail forwarding

Post by Michael Heimin » Thu, 13 Sep 2001 04:51:56


Weiping Hu wrote at Tuesday 11 September 2001 05:13 like only he can:

Quote:> Dear all,
> I'm running a linux mail server on Caldera Linux 2.0.  I noticed the
> following error in /var/log/mail file:

> <hostname> sendmail[2585]: DAA02584: DAA02585: DSN: Local configur
> ation error

> where <hostname> is the server name.  What does it mean?  What
> should I
> do to solve the problem?  I'm familiar with the Linux system as a
> user but don't know much about the system, so please provide more
> detailed explanation.

> Thank you for helping.

> Weiping

Sounds, as if you need to setup your DNS (MX and A record) for your
mail server. Next, you may need to check/edit /etc/sendmail.cw or
/etc/mail/relay-domains or /etc/mail/local-host-names depending on
the sendmail version you run.

A detailed explanation is hard, it's not easy from the info you give,
setting up sendmail is not that easy...

However this link and the enormous docs at this site should get you
started: http://www.sendmail.org/email-explained.html

Good luck

Michael Heiming

 
 
 

Mail forwarding

Post by Weiping H » Thu, 13 Sep 2001 11:18:50


Michael,
Thanks for the pointer.  Let me try to provide more information.  I run
two servers, on with NT and the other with Linux.  The NT acts as the
domain server and the linux box is the mail server, running sendmail
8.9.1a.  I also have two registered domain names.  Lets say one is
nt.my.com, and the other linux.my.com, and the two are connected throuhg
LAN, and the NT is connected to the Internet through eth0.

On nt.my.com I have set up a MX record, giving linux.my.com as the
mailserver.  I then try to send a message from Hotmail to


I still feel I don't know what I'm talking about, but I guess that's the
reason I'm posting here. :-)

Weiping


> Weiping Hu wrote at Tuesday 11 September 2001 05:13 like only he can:

> > Dear all,

> Sounds, as if you need to setup your DNS (MX and A record) for your
> started: http://www.sendmail.org/email-explained.html

> Good luck

> Michael Heiming

 
 
 

Mail forwarding

Post by Dean Thompso » Thu, 13 Sep 2001 18:59:40


Hi!,

> Thanks for the pointer.  Let me try to provide more information.  I run
> two servers, on with NT and the other with Linux.  The NT acts as the
> domain server and the linux box is the mail server, running sendmail
> 8.9.1a.  I also have two registered domain names.  Lets say one is
> nt.my.com, and the other linux.my.com, and the two are connected throuhg
> LAN, and the NT is connected to the Internet through eth0.

> On nt.my.com I have set up a MX record, giving linux.my.com as the
> mailserver.  I then try to send a message from Hotmail to



Have you configured Linux to accept mail for the "nt.my.com" domain by using
the "local-host-names" file.  If you don't have this file you might like to
take a look in the sendmail.cw file and check to see whether or not you have a
definition in your sendmail file which looks something like:

Fw/etc/mail/local-host-names
       OR
Fw/etc/mail/sendmail.cw


does the message just disappear.

See ya

Dean Thompson

--
+____________________________+____________________________________________+

| Bach. Computing (Hons)     | ICQ     - 45191180                         |
| PhD Student                | Office  - <Off-Campus>                     |
| School Comp.Sci & Soft.Eng | Phone   - +61 3 9903 2787 (Gen. Office)    |
| MONASH (Caulfield Campus)  | Fax     - +61 3 9903 1077                  |
| Melbourne, Australia       |                                            |
+----------------------------+--------------------------------------------+

 
 
 

Mail forwarding

Post by Samuel GAUTIE » Thu, 13 Sep 2001 21:49:47


That 's right !!

but you don't need to understand all the features of sendmail only those you
really need !

The better way for relaying is the use of sendmail + cyrus sasl.

Cyrus-sasl provides the SMTP Authentication and only the users authenticated
in what ever place they are, are allowed to

be relayed.

But you need to build Sendmail from its sources.

But don't worry it's very easy.

look at : http://www.asp.ogi.edu/people/paja/linux/sendmail/

Good luck !!

Bye



Quote:> Dear all,
> I'm running a linux mail server on Caldera Linux 2.0.  I noticed the
> following error in /var/log/mail file:

> <hostname> sendmail[2585]: DAA02584: DAA02585: DSN: Local configur
> ation error

> where <hostname> is the server name.  What does it mean?  What should I
> do to solve the problem?  I'm familiar with the Linux system as a user
> but don't know much about the system, so please provide more detailed
> explanation.

> Thank you for helping.

> Weiping

 
 
 

1. mail forwarding problem with ".forward" file

I have a question about adding the ".forward" file in my unix user
directory.

I 'd like all incoming mails forwarded to another address temporarily whilst
I am away but I also want the machine to keep a copy of it for reference
when I return. Does anyone know how to do this? Normally I just put the
forwarding email address in the .forward file but it won't keep a copy of
it.

Thanks.

---
Benny K C Lo
PhD Candidate
Cancer Research Laboratories
University of Nottingham
Nottingham NG7 2RD, UK

2. linux - cable modem

3. mail forward problem in RH71 with procmail or .forward

4. test: ignore

5. mail forwarding undr SCO mmdf - mailing lists?

6. IP Multicast

7. mail forwarding ..duplicate mails..

8. autofs problem?

9. NOT an FAQ: Mail forwarding without delete

10. Automatic @-mail forward...

11. how to set a mail forwarding

12. Mail Forwarding

13. mail forward