restarting pppd after hangup

Post by Richard L. Goerwi » Tue, 13 Jun 1995 04:00:00

As has been discussed here many times, my provider drops idle ppp
connections.  This is okay with me.  Trouble is that when I try to
clean up afterwards, and reestablish the connection, I can't.  Or
at least, when I try to use my chat script, I get the following er-
rors:

Jun 11 16:49:44 typo chat[15343]: warning: read() on stdin returned 0
Jun 11 16:49:44 typo chat[15343]: Can't restore terminal parameters: I/O error

Of course stdin is /dev/cuaX.

I've tried resetting /dev/cuaX with stty in various ways, but to
no avail.  And of course I made sure to clean up after pppd (which
dies on its own).

There is probably an obvious thing to do here that I'm missing.  Can
someone who knows what it is please pass that information on?  What
is interesting to me is that dip still happily works after such a
pppd death.
--

restarting pppd after hangup

Post by Eric Sche » Tue, 13 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>As has been discussed here many times, my provider drops idle ppp
>connections.  This is okay with me.  Trouble is that when I try to
>clean up afterwards, and reestablish the connection, I can't.  Or
>at least, when I try to use my chat script, I get the following er-
>rors:
>Jun 11 16:49:44 typo chat[15343]: warning: read() on stdin returned 0
>Jun 11 16:49:44 typo chat[15343]: Can't restore terminal parameters: I/O error
>Of course stdin is /dev/cuaX.
>I've tried resetting /dev/cuaX with stty in various ways, but to
>no avail.  And of course I made sure to clean up after pppd (which
>dies on its own).
>There is probably an obvious thing to do here that I'm missing.  Can
>someone who knows what it is please pass that information on?  What
>is interesting to me is that dip still happily works after such a
>pppd death.

Just a hunch, but try using /dev/ttySx instead.
Also, make sure you have the most recent pppd (2.1.2d),
it fixes a few bugs that are related to restarting pppd from
init, which might also be your problem.

-- eric

Department of Computer Science, University of Toronto

Post by Chuck Kra » Thu, 15 Jun 1995 04:00:00

>>As has been discussed here many times, my provider drops idle ppp
>>connections.  This is okay with me.  Trouble is that when I try to
>>clean up afterwards, and reestablish the connection, I can't.  Or
>>at least, when I try to use my chat script, I get the following er-
>>rors:

>>Jun 11 16:49:44 typo chat[15343]: warning: read() on stdin returned 0
>>Jun 11 16:49:44 typo chat[15343]: Can't restore terminal parameters: I/O error

>>Of course stdin is /dev/cuaX.

>>I've tried resetting /dev/cuaX with stty in various ways, but to
>>no avail.  And of course I made sure to clean up after pppd (which
>>dies on its own).

>>There is probably an obvious thing to do here that I'm missing.  Can
>>someone who knows what it is please pass that information on?  What
>>is interesting to me is that dip still happily works after such a
>>pppd death.

>Just a hunch, but try using /dev/ttySx instead.
>Also, make sure you have the most recent pppd (2.1.2d),
>it fixes a few bugs that are related to restarting pppd from
>init, which might also be your problem.

>-- eric

>Department of Computer Science, University of Toronto

 Well, this is a cronic problem with me and my buddies. My system is a
 486DX4-100 at 1.2.10  with ppp2.1.2d using ttyS1. It does the same thing
as described above. My brother has the same problem when he ran 1.1.59 with
 ppp2.1.2b on his 486DX-66. When we upgraded him to 1.2.10 and 2.1.2d it is
still there. My friend Scott has an old 486DX-33 at 1.2.8 2.1.2d... the same.
I have a Telebit WorldBlazer and the others run USR Sportsters. It looks like
it's in chat, but what do I know?? :-). On the otherhand, this is the only
problem I've found with the ppp package. I want to thank Al Longyear and crew
for a nice comm package that's letting me net-surf, ftp, telnet etc. If this
is the only problem (and I believe it is) they've done a great service
Thanks,
Chuck

 Chuck Kranz

 http://www.best.com/~chuckk/chuckpage.html

Post by Richard L. Goerwi » Fri, 16 Jun 1995 04:00:00

>>Just a hunch, but try using /dev/ttySx instead.

> Well, this is a cronic problem with me and my buddies. My system is a
> 486DX4-100 at 1.2.10  with ppp2.1.2d using ttyS1. It does the same thing
> as described above.

Right.  And you use ttySx.  Like me, you're probably providing pppd with
the modem, crtscts, and lock parameters.  Doing everything by the book.

Still, chat can't seem to recover after the connection goes down.  I can't
find any processes lingering or any dangling lockfiles.  So I'm stumped.