TCP hangs from Win95 client

Post by dkhosl » Sat, 27 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Hi,
I have just installed 2.0.30 (Redhat) on a couple of Linux boxes and am
having a strange problem when I try and connect from Win 95 box. E.g. if I
ftp to the Linux box, I observe the 'connected' message immediately, bu the
username prompt does not show up for a couple of minutes. same for telnet.
If however I connect from the other Linux box, it is fine.

I captured some traces and can't see any difference in the first 3 (SYN,
SYN/ACK, ACK) handshake other than the fact that the TTL on the win95 box
is 32 whereas on the Linux boxes it is 64. I am not sure if this is
significant. However, on the Linx connection the server responds
immediately with a packet whereas on the win95 client, the server packet is
sent after over 150 secs have elapsed.

Any help would be sincerely appreciated.

TCP hangs from Win95 client

Post by Paul Blac » Sun, 28 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> Hi,
> I have just installed 2.0.30 (Redhat) on a couple of Linux boxes and am
> having a strange problem when I try and connect from Win 95 box. E.g. if I
> ftp to the Linux box, I observe the 'connected' message immediately, bu the
> username prompt does not show up for a couple of minutes. same for telnet.
> If however I connect from the other Linux box, it is fine.

> I captured some traces and can't see any difference in the first 3 (SYN,
> SYN/ACK, ACK) handshake other than the fact that the TTL on the win95 box
> is 32 whereas on the Linux boxes it is 64. I am not sure if this is
> significant. However, on the Linx connection the server responds
> immediately with a packet whereas on the win95 client, the server packet is
> sent after over 150 secs have elapsed.

> Any help would be sincerely appreciated.

From your linux machine (the one you are telnetting to), what happens
when you do "nslookup" for your various machines (or try to ping them
by name)? What happens when you do a reverse lookup ("nslookup a.b.c.d"
where a.b.c.d is the IP address)?

Paul

TCP hangs from Win95 client

Post by har.. » Mon, 29 Dec 1997 04:00:00

: Hi,
: I have just installed 2.0.30 (Redhat) on a couple of Linux boxes and am
: having a strange problem when I try and connect from Win 95 box. E.g. if I
: ftp to the Linux box, I observe the 'connected' message immediately, bu the
: username prompt does not show up for a couple of minutes. same for telnet.
: If however I connect from the other Linux box, it is fine.

: I captured some traces and can't see any difference in the first 3 (SYN,
: SYN/ACK, ACK) handshake other than the fact that the TTL on the win95 box
: is 32 whereas on the Linux boxes it is 64. I am not sure if this is
: significant. However, on the Linx connection the server responds
: immediately with a packet whereas on the win95 client, the server packet is
: sent after over 150 secs have elapsed.

: Any help would be sincerely appreciated.

Sounds like name lookup is bombing, or maybe identd.

-harold

TCP hangs from Win95 client

Post by dkhosl » Tue, 30 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> From your linux machine (the one you are telnetting to), what happens
> when you do "nslookup" for your various machines (or try to ping them
> by name)? What happens when you do a reverse lookup ("nslookup a.b.c.d"
> where a.b.c.d is the IP address)?

> Paul

That was it! The client name is not gettting resolved and the connection
succeeds after some internal timeout I guess. I'll look at my host.conf or
nsswitch.conf and try and resolve this. Thanks very much.