NFS File Sharing ?

Post by mpierc » Wed, 27 Jun 2001 13:42:37

Lin-Lin fs question. Trying to share files between desktop & notebook
I entered into /etc/fstab:
        notebook:/home/mpierce /mnt/notebook nfs user,bg 0 0

When I try to mount:
        mount /mnt/notebook

I get the following error:
        mount: notebook:/home/mpierce failed.
        Reason given by the server: Permission denied

I suspect I need to somehow give the password in one of the files.
Can someone tell me how I do this and in what file?

Marvin

NFS File Sharing ?

Post by Dean Thompso » Wed, 27 Jun 2001 14:08:27

Hi!,

Quote:> Lin-Lin fs question. Trying to share files between desktop & notebook
> I entered into /etc/fstab:
>         notebook:/home/mpierce /mnt/notebook nfs user,bg 0 0

> When I try to mount:
>         mount /mnt/notebook

> I get the following error:
>         mount: notebook:/home/mpierce failed.
>         Reason given by the server: Permission denied

This error will be caused as a result of one of two problems.  The first is
that you don't have the /etc/exports file setup and if you do, make sure that
you have run the command: /sbin/exportfs to update the kernel.  The other
reason for this deny message will be that the system is unable to match the
incoming IP address to the name which is listed in the /etc/exports file.
Check your /etc/exports file to make sure that everything is correct and that
the IP address does match the name of the computer exactally.

You may want to take a look at your /var/log/secure or /var/log/messages to
glean more hints as to what is wrong.

See ya

Dean Thompson

NFS File Sharing ?

Post by Jeremiah DeWitt Weine » Thu, 28 Jun 2001 01:04:05

> Lin-Lin fs question. Trying to share files between desktop & notebook

(snip)

Quote:>    mount: notebook:/home/mpierce failed.
>    Reason given by the server: Permission denied
> I suspect I need to somehow give the password in one of the files.
> Can someone tell me how I do this and in what file?

        NFS doesn't use passwords.  Have you read the NFS-HOWTO?  What
does "showmount -e" on notebook show?  It should show something somewhat
like this:

tae1:/opt/admanager/scripts$ showmount -e
export list for tae1:
/opt/admanager/ads (everyone)

If you don't see anything in the export list, then you're not exporting the
directory; if you get an error message, then the nfs server programs are
not running.  Again, please read the HOWTO.

JDW

1. Need help with NFS file sharing

I have a Dell desktop configured as NFS server, and three notebooks configured
as NFS client. All computers were running Mandrake 9 and NFS and file
sharing in both directions worked well, but I now want to change to SuSE 9
and have installed it on two of the notebooks. NFS works with all
computers but I cannot copy a file from a SuSE notebook to the server,
only server to notebook. I get "access deniged" from the server. I know I
get to the server because if I try to copy a file that exists I get the
message that the file exists but if I select to overrite I get the access
deniged message. Everything is configured the same on the MDK notebook and
the SuSE notebooks but only the MDK notebook can copy from the notebook to
the server. Any help will be appreciated.

nikki

2. wvdial: why busy?

3. NFS file sharing mount gives permission denied ...

4. command to find a file in all directories...

5. nfs file sharing

6. XFree Can't see my middle mouse button - help

7. NFS?: Networking Win95 to Linux to share files

8. XFIG: EPS export problem

9. File locking with NFS share?

10. Setting up a[ NFS] Server for file sharing

11. problem with apps. sharing files over nfs

12. Copy from local filesystem to nfs share results in files owned by 'nobody'

13. Secure file sharing via NFS and SSH