MAC clients on Linux fileserver

Post by Ed Karjal » Tue, 05 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Is anyone out there successfully attaching MAC clients to a Linux server?  I
would appreciate knowing what, if any technical resources are available to
help me do the same.

Thanks,

Ed Karjala - Derry, NH

Post by Paul Nevi » Wed, 06 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> Is anyone out there successfully attaching MAC clients to a Linux server?  I
> would appreciate knowing what, if any technical resources are available to
> help me do the same.

I have a lab of PowerMacs in a student lab here at Curitn University connecting
to a departmental Linux server via netatalk.  The macs turn themselves on each
morning at 5am and load the original hard disk image from the Linux box.

This process is done via a package called netatalk available from
http://thehamptons.com/anders/netatalk and installed under Linux.

From the chooser mac users can see your Linux box and connect to
shared/password resources.

MAC clients on Linux fileserver

Post by Brya » Sat, 09 Jan 1999 04:00:00

There's been a Netatalk project out there for years.  It lets Linux
boxes share their printers as LaserWriters on the Mac network, and use
other shared printers as their own.  The best features are the
AppleShare server possibilities.  You can use normal DDP or the new
AppleShare IP with the latest version.

You can download the latest netatalk rpm from Redhat's contrib site (or
any mirrors).  It's called

netatalk-1.4b2+asun2.1.0.i386.rpm

I don't have the link to the homepage on me.  Do a search on Alta Vista
for Netatalk.

-- Bryan (take out the _no_spam for return email)

Post by Craig Chapma » Sun, 10 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>I don't have the link to the homepage on me.  Do a search on Alta Vista
>for Netatalk.

>-- Bryan (take out the _no_spam for return email)

A good resource is at http://thehamptons.com/anders/netatalk  The how-to is
extremely helpful. A "must" really.

-c

1. Linux as a Fileserver for Mac and Win

Hello,
I have a problem with my Linux-Fileserver when a Mac-Client tries to
edit a file, which was put on the fileserver by a windows-machine. Samba
and Netatalk are running but when a Win-Client puts for example a
jpg-file on the fileserver and a mac tries to copy this file on his hd,
the mac gets an error-message "could not copy file on the desktop
because I could not find the file".
Does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks a lot...

Hansi Daberger,
Webmaster Rock Hard Magazine

2. Read problem

3. Using a Mac as CVS server, Linux and Mac clients

4. Should I stripp executables?

5. Mac fileserver for Linux?

6. %20LinuxPPC2000%20on%20iBook%20-%20problems&References=<3960F223.19A1@student

7. Linux - good enough as fileserver (>100 clients) ??

8. Need help with rcp/rstatd

9. Help needed: NFS problems with Solaris clients and Linux fileserver

10. How do I setup a portable Fileserver that hooks up to Macs and WinPCs via ethernet ?

11. using Mklinux for a Mac/NT fileserver network

12. Problems with 4.1.3 Fileserver and Solaris 2.2 Clients...

13. FreeBSD as fileserver for WIN/DOS clients