PPP and prooxyARP

Post by Kyler Jone » Wed, 18 Nov 1998 04:00:00

My setup is as follows:

Linux 2.0.34, ppp 2.2, I confugred my kernel for all the stuf
for IP Masqerade.  I am on the net full time with a cable modem
that keeps a dynamic IP for months at a time.  I use dhcpcp to
get my ethernet info over the cable modem.

Here's what I'm doing.  I have set it up so I can dial in and
connect with pp and access the net using IP masq.

Everything works fine (as far as i know).

The only glitch is this:  in my syslog file I get this : "pppd[97]
Cannot determine ethernet address for proxyarp"

Why is this happening?  I have an ethernet address.  Ifconfig returns
and ethernet address for eth0.

Does it matter?  Why does it work anyway?  Do I need the proxyarp
option in my options file?

B.T.W., how come I don't need to set up any routing for the ppp
link?

Thanks in advance.

Kyler Jones

Klyer Jones

PPP and prooxyARP

Post by Clifford Ki » Wed, 18 Nov 1998 04:00:00

: My setup is as follows:

: Linux 2.0.34, ppp 2.2, I confugred my kernel for all the stuf
: for IP Masqerade.  I am on the net full time with a cable modem
: that keeps a dynamic IP for months at a time.  I use dhcpcp to
: get my ethernet info over the cable modem.

: Here's what I'm doing.  I have set it up so I can dial in and
: connect with pp and access the net using IP masq.

: Everything works fine (as far as i know).

: The only glitch is this:  in my syslog file I get this : "pppd[97]
: Cannot determine ethernet address for proxyarp"

In order to use proxyarp the IP address used by the client-side must be
an address assigned to the same subnet as the box on the server-side.

: B.T.W., how come I don't need to set up any routing for the ppp
: link?

pppd sets up the routing it needs and also takes it down.

--

/* When you say 'I wrote a program that crashed Windows95',
 * people just stare at you blankly and say 'Hey, I got

PPP and prooxyARP

Post by dvs1 » Thu, 19 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> Linux 2.0.34, ppp 2.2, I confugred my kernel for all the stuf
> for IP Masqerade.  I am on the net full time with a cable modem
> that keeps a dynamic IP for months at a time.  I use dhcpcp to
> get my ethernet info over the cable modem.

> Here's what I'm doing.  I have set it up so I can dial in and
> connect with pp and access the net using IP masq.

I am in precisely the same situation, but I can't get the ppp dial in to
work.  Actually, the ppp part works, but neither system can ping the
other across it.  Could you please tell me how you got it to work?

--
My real .signature is funnier.