TCP/IP over Novell IPX in Linux

Post by Another triumph for truth, justice, and automatic weapon » Mon, 25 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Hello.

First off, a quick apology to all who have answered my questions in the
past who I did not reply to.

Now, here's the problem:  Here at Ball State U., the use of IPs to access
the internet is done over Novell IPX.  I have, in the past, been able to
set up simple FTP servers that can be accessed using the IP address that
the TCP/IP drivers were set up to use.  The odd thing is that the IP
addresses are not machine specific - they will work from any machine
physically hooked up to the server and running IPX.  My question is will
I be able to set up a Linux server by simply hooking it up to the
network (it's a 10-baseT network) and using one of the network compatable
slackware kernels?  Will I have to do some stuff to connect it via IPX
and then TCP/IP?  Any help would be appreciated.  Reply by mail if possible.

THANKS!

Dan Moore

Manager, Indiana Academy Internet Server
Supervisor, Indiana Academy Lab Technician Staff
President, Limelight Software

Member:
        Association for Computing Machinery
        Indiana Academy Solar Car Team

---

Post by Jelle N. Fo » Fri, 29 Sep 1995 04:00:00

>Now, here's the problem:  Here at Ball State U., the use of IPs to access
>the internet is done over Novell IPX.  I have, in the past, been able to
>set up simple FTP servers that can be accessed using the IP address that
>the TCP/IP drivers were set up to use.  The odd thing is that the IP
>addresses are not machine specific - they will work from any machine
>physically hooked up to the server and running IPX.  My question is will
>I be able to set up a Linux server by simply hooking it up to the
>network (it's a 10-baseT network) and using one of the network compatable
>slackware kernels?  Will I have to do some stuff to connect it via IPX
>and then TCP/IP?  Any help would be appreciated.  Reply by mail if possible.

Did you ask this question to any of the guys from Caldera? They have especially
knowledge of novell and linux (their linux dist. has lotsa neat novell client
features). their homepage is at www.caldera.com and they probably have a

Good luck, Jelle.

Post by David Shaff » Fri, 29 Sep 1995 04:00:00

: >network (it's a 10-baseT network) and using one of the network compatable
: >slackware kernels?  Will I have to do some stuff to connect it via IPX
: >and then TCP/IP?  Any help would be appreciated.  Reply by mail if possible.

we have an IPX network subnetted off of our linux server. it goes through a
unixware box that does routing though. it depends on what you want to do.

1. combining Linux-TCP/IP with PC-Novell-IPX/SPX

Hi all,

small questions, we have to configure a net running both PCs under
DOS (uhhhh...) and PCs under linux (jeahhh....). Our DOS-PCs are
connected via Novell-Netware using IPX/SPX. But our linux-PCs
are still using TCP/IP.

1) Is it possible to combine TCP/IP and IPX? We
   think, there should be no problem.

2) Is it possible to access data from our Novell-Server
   under linux? (and vice-versa). We think there are many
   problems.

3) Is it possible to combine user accounting? We think
   that is impossible.

4) Are there any configuration-tools connecting linux-PCs
   with Novell-Server?

Is there anybody with some (successfull) experiences on this
area ????

If yes, please drop a line to the e-mail-address attached below.

Thank you very mutch

Stefan.

 ::       :::::::
  ::::.  :: :: :: Johann Wolfgang Goethe-Universit"at
     :: ::     :: Fachbereich Informatik                              .
:::::: ::      :: D-60054 Frankfurt am Main                         .::
http://www.vsb.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de/projects/aitrader/intro.html
http://caladan.wiwi.uni-frankfurt.de/oew

2. Will fork() work here?

3. NOVELL IPX & TCP/IP

4. gdb's tty command & RedHat 5.0

5. IPX over Tcp/IP and IPX diagnosis tools

6. SUMMARY AGAIN for tar hoses system

7. Win95/IPX -> IP ->PPP ->Linux ->Novell 3.12

8. HP-7570I CD-Writer+ and HP-3200C Flatbed Scanner

9. Access to a novell server across a linux IP router (or needed I IPX router)

10. IPX/TCP/NOVELL setup help

11. IPX and TCP/IP on same Linux machine

12. Linux as a TCP/IP & IPX router, win -howto?

13. How can I made a Linux File-Server (Like Novell NW) with TCP/IP ?