automount and nis

Post by morga » Fri, 14 May 1999 04:00:00

I have solaris serving nis and clients are aix and linux.
I cannot for the life of me get linux to automount
things from nis maps.  NIS is setup and running
correctly, it's an automount problem or something like
that.  When an nis uses logs in it just says they have
no home directory('cause it won't mount it) and leaves
them in / or osmething like that.  Any help or ideas
would be greatly appreciated.

automount and nis

Post by Tony.L.. » Sat, 15 May 1999 04:00:00

> I have solaris serving nis and clients are aix and linux.
> I cannot for the life of me get linux to automount
> things from nis maps.  NIS is setup and running
> correctly, it's an automount problem or something like
> that.  When an nis uses logs in it just says they have
> no home directory('cause it won't mount it) and leaves
> them in / or osmething like that.  Any help or ideas
> would be greatly appreciated.

1) Make sure that you have autofs (not amd) installed and that it is
configured to start when you reboot.
2) Make sure that your NIS server is serving up an auto.master
map. Solaris uses the name auto_master, so make a duplicate map. (I
could have the names backwards, but still, make sure that it's serving
both).

Autofs will automatically query the NIS map on startup. That's all I
had to do.
--

President, A. J. Lill Consultants        fax/data (519) 650 3571
539 Grand Valley Dr., Cambridge, Ont. N3H 2S2     (519) 241 2461

automount and nis

Post by morga » Sat, 15 May 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> 1) Make sure that you have autofs (not amd) installed and that it is
> configured to start when you reboot.

Yes.

Starting automounter:

is what it does when I start it.  Seems like it should print
something out when it starts?
Quote:> 2) Make sure that your NIS server is serving up an auto.master
> map. Solaris uses the name auto_master, so make a duplicate map. (I
> could have the names backwards, but still, make sure that it's serving
> both).

Yes.

/home/morgan -rw        oligo:/home/morgan
/home/doofus -rw        oligo:/home/doofus

Is this the correct format?
Quote:> Autofs will automatically query the NIS map on startup. That's all I
> had to do.

That's what everyone else is telling me!  autofs is compiled into
all the kernels I am trying to get this working on.  Mounting
the directories by hand also works when autofs is off(and hasn't
siezed control of /home)  The automounting works like a dream on
solaris, but it's hell on aix and linux.  Any help is greatly
appreciated!
Morgan

1. automount reading sun's automount file or NIS map

Is there any automount program for linux that can use automount file
or NIS map used in Sun's automount?

We have a linux PC that we'd like to take advantage of the department
NIS, but so far the only automount I could find was 'amd', which
didn't understand auto.home file used in suns.

Since I'm not a sysadmin for the NIS server, and we have mostly suns and
hps, it wouldn't be practical to ask the sysadmin to administer another
NIS map just for amd running in linux.

Any relevant suggestion is welcome.

2. Compile error including asm/uaccess.h

3. RFH: SunOS NIS users can't "automount" their home directory from NIS+ Server

4. RedHat 6.0 - guestgroups wu-ftpd

5. Automount from NIS+ to NIS

6. seeking linux journyx WebTime beta testers

7. NIS compatability under NIS+ - automounting problem

8. Please HELP - KDE XFree86 4.1 FreeBSD 4.4

9. NIS/NIS+ & Automount

10. Matrox Mystique ands X.

11. NIS/automount?

12. nis+ automount problems

13. automount / NIS+ problems in two-server setup