network freeze when adding win95 laptop to Linux/Win95 network

network freeze when adding win95 laptop to Linux/Win95 network

Post by Hans » Wed, 20 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I have a problem: when I try to add my Win95 laptop to my Linux/Windows 95
LAN the network freezes!

Let me describe the situation:

'Old situation' - working fine:
-------------------------------
I have a simple network with one Redhat 5.0 Linux server & one Windows 95
machine. The linux machine acts as a fileserver, running Samba, the Windos
59 machine (4.0.0.950B) is my regular 'workstation', with IPX/SPX, Netbeui
and TCP/IP installed. I use 10MB NIC's connected by a simple 5 port hub
(10MB). I can ping from/to both machines and access files, run a linux
webserver (apache, great!) etc. No problem at all, until....

'New situation' - not working  :-(
----------------------------------
I want to connect my laptop to the network. I use a 10/100MB Dynalink L100C
PCMCIA card (configured to run at 10MB). The laptop as also a Windows 95
machine (4.0.0.950B), same drivers etc. as the other windows95 machines,
except for the IP address of course. All IP addresses are static in the
192.168.42.xx range, netmask 255.255.255.0.

When the problems start:
------------------------
Now what's happening? Suppose I am running my network as usual: one Linux
server, one windows 95 machine. All working fine. I start pinging the
windows 95 machine from the Linux machine for a unlimited period to
demonstrate what's happening. Then I  boot the Compaq 1220 laptop (connected
to the hub). The pinging between Linux and the workstation continues, but as
soon as the LINK led on the laptop's PCMCIA card flashes on, the pinging
from Linux to the workstation stops. If I try to ping form the workstation
to Linux I receive a 'Request timed out' message.

I now can not ping any machine from Linux, nor the Linux machine from any
windows 95 machine any more. However, I CAN ping between the two Windows 95
machines. If I then physically disconnect the STP cable connecting the
laptop to the hub, the pinging from Linux to the Windows95 workstation
continues as if nothing happened!

I don't know too much about networking, but I tried to examin the network
with Netstat. It does not report any hard errors.

PS: If I use the combination laptop + Linux only (without the 'windows95
workstation'), everything works fine too (so I think the laptop should be
configured properly). Also, the name to IP translation (via hosts file) is
ok.

This is a very * situation, since I lose contact with my fileserver as
soon as the laptop joins the network.

Can anybody help me (I hope I gave enough info)?

1. can't see Win95 shares through Linux to Win95 network

At my work we have a small LAN with Win95 workstations and some unix
servers
running SCU with Samba. We want to use a Linux machine as a dial-in server
for
remote employees runing Win95.

It is possible to dial into the Linux box and ping, telnet and ftp to all
the machines
on the local network (and from all the machines on the local network to the
machine
on the other side of the ppp link). However, I'm only able to access the
Samba shares
on my Linux box and not -ANY- other on hte rest of the local network (I can
see the
computers if I put them in the c:\windows\hosts file on the remote machine,
but I
get an error like 'unable to find computer on the network' if I try to
browse it).

Does anyone know what's going on here?

Thanks alot,
        Peer

2. Anyway can DOS read files which are in Linux partition?

3. Linux & Win95 = Frozen Win95

4. SGI 1600SW flatpanel display and linux?

5. Add Win95 Machine to Linux Network?

6. Problem : high load (>7) without process or disk usage

7. Samba newbie with linux laptop on a win95 dhcp network, HELP!

8. Linux Fdisk and VFAT32

9. Files for installing a networked NeXT laser printer under Win95 (Was: Black Next 2.2 + Linux != networking?)

10. NEWBE - Trying to install network card in Linux on win95 network

11. Samba - adding Form Feed to Win95 networked printer output

12. getting win95 shares on win95 machines to map with a login script with samba and win95

13. samba: win95->linux works, linux->win95 doesnt