FTP and NIS problem?

Post by Stefan Bores » Wed, 12 Mar 1997 04:00:00

I am running into the following problem: We have one PC running
Linux (vanilla Slackware 3.1, kernel upgraded to 2.0.27) in
group of various workstations using NIS; the Linux machine binds
to the ypserver (an SGI Indy running IRIX 5.3) using ypbind.
So far, no problems users can use all the usual benefits of a NIS setup.

Now it was pointed out to me that connecting via ftp to the
Linux PC causes problems: N.B.: No problems whatsoever with telnet.
Indeed, using my login name from the NIS database, the following happens:

Connected to pckistl1.mdy.univie.ac.at.
220 pckistl1 FTP server (Version wu-2.4(1) Tue Dec 5 20:51:15 CST 1995) ready.
Name (pckistl1:stefan):
530 User stefan access denied...
Login failed.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp> dir
200 PORT command successful.
530 Please login with USER and PASS.

There is no problem when I use an account-name which is local
to the Linux PC, i.e. which is explicitly listed in /etc/passwd on
the PC.

What I find funny is that I am not asked for a password but
rejected immediately; see transcript.  When I use a non-existing
username, the system prompts for the password and rejects me
afterwords (obviously and fortunately...)

It seems to me that something funny is going on between ftpd and
NIS (though I may be completely wrong).  As already mentioned,
everything else seems to work just fine on the machine.
At the moment I am a little clueless; help appreciated!

Thanks,

Stefan

FTP and NIS problem?

Post by Manfred Pe » Thu, 13 Mar 1997 04:00:00

[...]

Hm... Could it be, that user 'stefan' has a shell defined in
/etc/passwd which is _not_ listed in /etc/shells? If this is the
case, wu-ftpd(1) will refuse login.

pm

FTP and NIS problem?

Post by Perry Wintn » Fri, 28 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>I am running into the following problem: We have one PC running
>Linux (vanilla Slackware 3.1, kernel upgraded to 2.0.27) in
>group of various workstations using NIS; the Linux machine binds
>to the ypserver (an SGI Indy running IRIX 5.3) using ypbind.
>So far, no problems users can use all the usual benefits of a NIS setup.
>Now it was pointed out to me that connecting via ftp to the
>Linux PC causes problems: N.B.: No problems whatsoever with telnet.
>Indeed, using my login name from the NIS database, the following happens:

>Connected to pckistl1.mdy.univie.ac.at.
>220 pckistl1 FTP server (Version wu-2.4(1) Tue Dec 5 20:51:15 CST 1995) ready.
>Name (pckistl1:stefan):
>530 User stefan access denied...
>Login failed.
>Remote system type is UNIX.
>Using binary mode to transfer files.
>ftp> dir
>200 PORT command successful.
>530 Please login with USER and PASS.
>There is no problem when I use an account-name which is local
>to the Linux PC, i.e. which is explicitly listed in /etc/passwd on
>the PC.
>What I find funny is that I am not asked for a password but
>rejected immediately; see transcript.  When I use a non-existing
>username, the system prompts for the password and rejects me
>afterwords (obviously and fortunately...)
>It seems to me that something funny is going on between ftpd and
>NIS (though I may be completely wrong).  As already mentioned,
>everything else seems to work just fine on the machine.
>At the moment I am a little clueless; help appreciated!
>Thanks,
>Stefan

Stefan,

        I had the same problem.  The problem is that users with NIS
entries  are using shells that are not listed in the /etc/shells file.

user:*:101:101:Generic User:/home/user:/usr/local/bin/tcsh

This user requires that /usr/local/bin/tcsh be in the /etc/shells file

Hope it helps...

        Perry

1. NIS : auth problem with Linux nis server and SUN sparc nis client

Hello,

I'v found some very old message about this problem in this group, but
there was no solution.

I' ve set up a NIS server on a Linux machine ( ubuntu 5.01)
following this howto
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/NIS-HOWTO/index.html
http://doc.ubuntu-fr.org/serveur/nis

everything seems to be ok
my sun machine is binded to ypserv on linux

inv09748 ( my linux nis server)

cao8:$1$JL6XpfxxxxxqctkdfFSycuu/:5008:5000::/home/cao8:/usr/bin/ksh

but when i try to log with cao8 => " incorrect login"

i can only log with root

loggued with root in can do :
su - cao8
and it works fine

so ... if someone can help, i will be very gracefull

(sorry for my english, i'm french)

2. login shell == ../vi

3. Matrox Mystique ands X.

4. 3c501 too slow

5. ftp with AIX NIS client and Linux NIS Server

6. messages - what does this mean?

7. FTP/NIS problem

8. Virtual Server

9. NIS+ problem prevents password change, inbound ftp

10. Problem of wu-ftp and NIS+

11. AIX 4.3.3 NIS problem w/ telnet,ftp(d)

12. User problem: password/nis+/ftp

13. Would NIS+ master work with NIS+ & NIS Slave?????????