'ssh node "ls -lR"': consumes all memory on the client!

'ssh node "ls -lR"': consumes all memory on the client!

Post by Zoli » Sat, 15 Sep 2007 00:37:44

 This issue is with a volume exported from the server, when accessed
indirectly via SSH from the server, i.e. not logging into the node:

 ssh node "ls -lR /files/export > /dev/null"

 The command takes up all available memory (near 4Gb) on the node,
while generating hundreds of thousand of slabs (nfs_inode_cache and
dentry_cache) as seen with slabtop. The system is rather plain Ubuntu:
2.6.15-26-amd64-k8 kernel.

 /etc/exports on the server:
/files/export
10.68.0.0/255.255.0.0(sync,no_wdelay,rw,no_root_squash)

 /etc/fstab entry on the client node:
home:/files/export /files/export nfs
rw,nosuid,rsize=32768,wsize=32768,tcp 0 0

 I'd very much appreciate any pointers on how to treat this problem.

 Zoli

1. PPP client can't see "local" nodes

Hello,

I have a RedHat 7.0 machine serving PPP for a Win98 laptop to dial into.
As it stands, I can connect, and I can see the web, but ONLY machines
outside of the subnet of the server. Thus, I can surf to yahoo, but
not to my own home page...I can telnet across campus, but not to my
own hosts where the server lives...All hostnames are resolving via
DNS properly.

What aspect of the PPP config would let me see "far" but not "near"?
I DO have IP forwarding enabled. The "options" file looks like:

asyncmap 0
noauth
debug
netmask xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (the subnet mask used by the server)
proxyarp
lock
crtscts
modem
ms-dns xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (the primary dns)

As I understand it, I do NOT want to add "defaultroute" above? When I
do, the connection log says:

pppd... not replacing existing default route to eth0

I thought "proxyarp" would take care of this, and the fact that I
can surf the WIDE part of the "www" suggests it does.

as I may miss a reply posted to the group. Thanks for any suggestions!
This has me really stumped...

Ric

2. sound card setup

3. FTP works, but "ls" or "dir" doesn't ???

4. find users working in a directory

6. Why does SO_BINDTODEVICE require root?

7. Why doesn't echo "text" 'command' "more text" work?

8. /usr/bin/sync question for SunOS 2.7

9. "client" & "server" versions -- what's the diff?

10. "client" vs. "server" versions -- what's the diff?

11. I got "Argument too long" for 'ls T*', help

12. 2.4.20: hang on "ls -lR / >file"