Network / NFS Hangs help please.

Post by Peter P » Thu, 14 Jun 2001 12:00:35

G'Day All.

I have the following situation and a problem.

-  An SGI Unix box exports an NFS directory tree.

- A Linux Mandrake 7.2 (based on Red Hat) is installed on a COMPAQ PIII 1GHz
PC. Chipset  Intel 815 with the integrated INTEL 10/100 Meg NIC. Module
eepro100?? (I can't remember precisely the module name). 10baseT RJ45
connection.

- The above Linux box mounts the NFS drive from the SGI box.

- The mount is slow. Takes few seconds for the first update, and when I try
to copy large files ~30 meg across the NFS, the connection stalls sometimes
resumes and stalls again, system load jumps to anywhere between 2-4 and  the
system eventually hangs. (possible NIC module / kernel networking problem.)

I know I am being vague here, but that's all I've got so far. ANY IDEAS?
I've tried both Mandrake 7.2 and 8. Mandrake 8 was even worse.

By the way, I have an older RH 6.0 installed on PII 450 mounting the same
NFS SGI drive and it works just fine.

Thanks for the help,
Peter

1. Network / NFS Hangs help please.

[...]

2. Norwegian keyboard

3. NFS please help me please please please sniff

4. looking for Unix Systems Admin.

5. Netscape Communicator just hangs...and hangs...please help.

6. need help compiling ghostscript

7. please please help with NFS

8. grep command .sh_history

9. Nfs-mount & RPC/network hanging/nntp inews

10. Help me Please with Linux Peer-to-Peer networking please

11. PLEASE PLEASE HELP Major problem with my SCSI & Redhat 5.0 PLEASE Help

13. NFS processes hang (forever) when NFS dies for a bit