working NFS refuses to export / selective export?

working NFS refuses to export / selective export?

Post by F. von Amel » Sat, 05 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

this is a weird problem: I have a small network featuring 3 computers:

the subdomain for each computer is: ping.de

name     function
system        IP-address

server                                                             SuSE
5.3    IP: 192.168.0.1
workstation                                                    SuSE
5.3    IP: 192.168.0.2
C          IBM Thinkpad with 3com PCMCIA card     SuSE 6.3    IP:
192.168.0.3

A exports some directories as follows

/mnt/armnet1 *.ping.de (rw)
/mnt/armnet2 *.ping.de (rw)

B exports some  directories as follows

/home/anubis *.ping.de (rw)
/home/sheos *.ping.de (rw)

C exports one directory as follows:

/home/thies *.ping.de (rw)

/etc/hosts is setup correctly on all machines,
portmap AND rpc.nfsd AND rpc.mountd are started at boot-time. Every
machine can be pinged or fingered or telneted etc. by name OR IP - no
difference! The network seems to be working fine.

The problems:

1) A exports corretly to B (and vice versa), but A refuses to export to
C - it does not matter if I use the subdomain "shortcut" or enter a long
list of IP-addresses in /etc/exports (on maschine A) - it just says
"Blocked attempt of C to mount...".

2) B exports correctly to A and C. (no problem here :))

3) C exports to A and B (no error reported), but the directories seem to
be empty! (all UIDs are equally set for all users on all machines).

What am I doing wrong? showmount -e <HOST> and rpcinfo -p <HOST> give
correct answers / equal answers. I am totally clueless. Why does A
export to B but refuses to export to C? Why does C export to A and B,
but the directories are empty (however, a mount on A or B shows correct
entries for the exported directory on C)?

It would be great if someone could give me a hint!

THX,

Frederik.

working NFS refuses to export / selective export?

Post by F. von Amel » Sat, 05 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Sorry for the mis-figured posting....
> Hi,

> this is a weird problem: I have a small network featuring 3 computers:

> the subdomain for each computer is: ping.de

> name     function    system   IP-address

> A    server               SuSE5.3    IP: 192.168.0.1
> B    workstation      SuSE5.3    IP: 192.168.0.2
> C    IBM Thinkpad  SuSE 6.3   IP: 192.168.0.3
> A exports some directories as follows

> /mnt/armnet1 *.ping.de (rw)
> /mnt/armnet2 *.ping.de (rw)

> B exports some  directories as follows

> /home/anubis *.ping.de (rw)
> /home/sheos *.ping.de (rw)

> C exports one directory as follows:

> /home/thies *.ping.de (rw)

> /etc/hosts is setup correctly on all machines,
> portmap AND rpc.nfsd AND rpc.mountd are started at boot-time. Every
> machine can be pinged or fingered or telneted etc. by name OR IP - no
> difference! The network seems to be working fine.

> The problems:

> 1) A exports corretly to B (and vice versa), but A refuses to export to
> C - it does not matter if I use the subdomain "shortcut" or enter a long
> list of IP-addresses in /etc/exports (on maschine A) - it just says
> "Blocked attempt of C to mount...".

> 2) B exports correctly to A and C. (no problem here :))

> 3) C exports to A and B (no error reported), but the directories seem to
> be empty! (all UIDs are equally set for all users on all machines).

> What am I doing wrong? showmount -e <HOST> and rpcinfo -p <HOST> give
> correct answers / equal answers. I am totally clueless. Why does A
> export to B but refuses to export to C? Why does C export to A and B,
> but the directories are empty (however, a mount on A or B shows correct
> entries for the exported directory on C)?

> It would be great if someone could give me a hint!

> THX,

> Frederik.

working NFS refuses to export / selective export?

Post by Steve Housem » Sat, 05 Feb 2000 04:00:00

<snip confusing nfs export symptoms>

The fact that showmount -e <server> and rpcinfo -p <server>
from *client* show expected info indicates basic stuff ok .

Are the hosts.allow/deny set right ... unlikely but portmap
and nfsd and (I'm guessing) mountd use the tcp wrapper lib.
man portmap describes it , but not the other two.
The fact that rpcinfo and showmount work from the client imply
that the portmap is allowed, so I dont understand why the others
wont unless you have specifically allowed the portmapper.
Perhaps try with the hosts.deny empty and hosts.allow set to
all for a quick test (check man 5 hosts_access).

Are the group ids the same on the boxes ?

I guess the othe question is the permissions on the mounted dirs
on the server, and whether you use root_squash.

Hope you fix it soon,

Steve Houseman

--

currently  steve.houseman at * net

1. NFS exports only works when exported to *the whole world* !

I am new to AIX administration, so maybe the following problem has a well
known workaround ?
I want to NFS-export the /u file system.  When I (or smit) creates this
entry in /etc/exports:
        /u
then everything is just fine, except that /u is exported to *the whole world* !
Now, when I export with a host restriction,
        /u      -access=<host>
(where <host> is the machine itself, or another machine, or a NIS netgroup),
NOTHING WORKS !  The machine cannot NFS-mount itself !!
The machine is a NIS-client with a set of Sun NIS servers.
Is it the use of NIS that breaks NFS exports ?  Or do I need a patch ?
The machine in question is a brand new RS/6000 model 580 with AIX 3.2.3.

Thanks for your help,
Ole H. Nielsen
Laboratory of Applied Physics, Building 307
Technical University of Denmark, DK-2800 Lyngby, Denmark

2. NEED HELP! PRINTING TO WIN98SE MACHINE FROM LINUX.

3. NFS export: trouble exporting read/write

4. Configure HP USB printer

5. NFS exporting exports

6. NewBie!! help with Make

7. NFS mount refused despite entry in exports file

8. Linuxconf + LILO

9. NFS refuses to export

10. Apache::StatINC and re-exporting exported subroutines

11. export N; N=v vs N=v; export N

12. Why does nfsd re-export WITHOUT --re-export option ???

13. Partitions for /export and /export/swap on SUN (Repost)