network sharing: the 2nd NIC card does NOT work.

network sharing: the 2nd NIC card does NOT work.

Post by Gre » Tue, 01 Jan 2002 09:26:54

Dear all,
    I need some advice on settig up the 2nd NIC card (Linksys
FastEthernet 10/100 v2.0). The 2 cards are identical. There is no
problem for RedHat 7.2 to configure both of them. The first card
(eth0) is configured to use IRQ 19, the 2nd uses IRQ 16, which happens
to be what my video card takes. I'm sure each of them works great, but
I can't ping the other machine on the hub. I looked at the lights on
the 2nd card. Only one is lit. When I connect the 2nd card to the
uplink of the hub, the uplink light is off and a yellow light goes on,
which may say something wrong. If I connect it to a regular port, the
collision light blinks yellow. I have no clue what's wrong and how to
deal with it. Any suggestions are appreciated.

cuigl

Thanks.

Post by Karl Heye » Tue, 01 Jan 2002 10:53:03

> Dear all,
>     I need some advice on settig up the 2nd NIC card (Linksys
> FastEthernet 10/100 v2.0). The 2 cards are identical. There is no
> problem for RedHat 7.2 to configure both of them. The first card
> (eth0) is configured to use IRQ 19, the 2nd uses IRQ 16, which happens
> to be what my video card takes. I'm sure each of them works great, but
> I can't ping the other machine on the hub. I looked at the lights on
> the 2nd card. Only one is lit. When I connect the 2nd card to the
> uplink of the hub, the uplink light is off and a yellow light goes on,
> which may say something wrong. If I connect it to a regular port, the
> collision light blinks yellow. I have no clue what's wrong and how to
> deal with it. Any suggestions are appreciated.

uplink ports are for chaining hubs/switches together, not for NICs.

if ifconfig show eth0 and eth1 then it looks like your system has
detected and configured the cards.  show us the ifconfig/route -n to
see if that is correct and then you need to check the the cable to make
sure you have a link to the hub (you should use a normal cable)

karl.

1. ping 2nd NIC works, but not ftp or telnet

This has been driving me nuts:

I have os5.0.5a that originally had an Intel 100B NIC card in an Intel
OEM machine, dual Pentium 200mmx.  ping, telnet and ftp worked fine.

I added a second card, Intel 100+.  I intend to run dhcpc on the 100+
card, but after I installed my 100+ card, my 100B card stopped working.
From windoz, I can ping the 100B card, but telnet hangs and ftp just
says "connected to xxxx".

In addtion, when SCO boots, i get an error on S90atlas.  "...S90atlas
did not respond for 120 seconds..."  Or something like that.
I have removed both cards, added the orginal back in, nothing seems to
work.  I also ran scoadmin>system>verify system

in the GUI, I can not run "Internet configuration"  I get an error
about it unable to talk to 615...localhost...

I'm not sure what else to post, '/etc/tcp' so any guidance will be
appreciated.
Rob

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Crystal Audio configuration

3. 2nd NIC not quite working

4. Help !! rpm ver. 4

5. 2nd network card doesnt work ?

6. timout in TCP SACK

7. Not detecting 2nd and 3rd network card

8. Anyone, please advise about "cu"

9. 2nd Quad ethernet card not working

10. samba - dos share.exe - record locking not working

11. FDDI Network Card not being seen or Driver not working

12. 4.2 nic aliasing, multiple IPs, one nic does not work???

13. Linux does not work with SMC 1211tx PCI nic card