YP "make group" problem

Post by deu.. » Fri, 12 May 2000 04:00:00

Hello all,

We have setup some user groups, using /etc/group, and we're trying to
map those groups into a yp domain.

For the most part, this is working fine.  We have a synchronization
program that we use to extract the desired entries out of our /etc/group
file and stick them in a new group file, located in our /var/yp
directory.

Then, we do a "make group" and voila, we have yp groups.  However, there
are a couple of groups (our two biggest groups) which are not working.
We get the following warning during the make:

Updating group.bygid...
makedbm: warning: data too long:

So, essentially, when we see this for a particular group, we know that
the group in question is not being added to yp.  This is also affecting
our yp slave server... the master will not push the maps when we do a
make and get these warnings.

Any advice?  Can we configure yp to use a different dbm scheme, which
doesn't have such a "weak" link?  I would think we should be able to
have really large groups.

Please advise.

Bob

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

YP "make group" problem

Post by deu.. » Sun, 14 May 2000 04:00:00

I suppose we can probably split things up differently...

We split our users up into three primary groups:  employee, student,
admins.  And, we use these groups for access control.  But, we have to
do what we have to do (i.e change this, somehow).

Thanks for the reply.

Bob