NFS permission denied

NFS permission denied

Post by Andrew Picki » Fri, 19 Nov 1999 04:00:00



server says:


Export list for neuromancer:
zen:/data                      (everyone)
wintermute:/data               (everyone)
zen.bullgod.co.uk:/data        (everyone)
wintermute.bullgod.co.uk:/data (everyone)

but client:

$ hostname
wintermute
$ mount -t nfs neuromancer:/data /data
mount: neuromancer:/data failed, reason given by server: Permission denied

why?

I suspect the server as that's been rebuild recently.

THX

AMP
--
-------------------------------------------------------------------
'Bother!', said Pooh, re-installing Windows yet again.

 
 
 

NFS permission denied

Post by Ken Johnso » Fri, 19 Nov 1999 04:00:00


Is the client in the /etc/hosts table on the server?
K.

> server says:


> Export list for neuromancer:
> zen:/data                      (everyone)
> wintermute:/data               (everyone)
> zen.bullgod.co.uk:/data        (everyone)
> wintermute.bullgod.co.uk:/data (everyone)

> but client:

> $ hostname
> wintermute
> $ mount -t nfs neuromancer:/data /data
> mount: neuromancer:/data failed, reason given by server: Permission denied

> why?

> I suspect the server as that's been rebuild recently.

> THX

> AMP
> --
> -------------------------------------------------------------------
> 'Bother!', said Pooh, re-installing Windows yet again.


 
 
 

NFS permission denied

Post by Andrew Picki » Fri, 19 Nov 1999 04:00:00



> server says:


> Export list for neuromancer:
> zen:/data                      (everyone)
> wintermute:/data               (everyone)
> zen.bullgod.co.uk:/data        (everyone)
> wintermute.bullgod.co.uk:/data (everyone)

> but client:

> $ hostname
> wintermute
> $ mount -t nfs neuromancer:/data /data
> mount: neuromancer:/data failed, reason given by server: Permission denied

> why?

> I suspect the server as that's been rebuild recently.

Update:


   program vers proto   port
    100000    2   tcp    111  portmapper
    100000    2   udp    111  portmapper
    300019    1   tcp    638  amd
    300019    1   udp    639  amd
    100011    1   udp    902  rquotad
    100011    2   udp    902  rquotad
    100005    1   udp    912  mountd
    100005    1   tcp    914  mountd
    100005    2   udp    917  mountd
    100005    2   tcp    919  mountd
    100003    2   udp   2049  nfs

Note there is no tcp entry for nfs, is this the problem?

AMP

 
 
 

NFS permission denied

Post by Andrew Picki » Fri, 19 Nov 1999 04:00:00



> > server says:


> > Export list for neuromancer:
> > zen:/data                      (everyone)
> > wintermute:/data               (everyone)
> > zen.bullgod.co.uk:/data        (everyone)
> > wintermute.bullgod.co.uk:/data (everyone)

> > but client:

> > $ hostname
> > wintermute
> > $ mount -t nfs neuromancer:/data /data
> > mount: neuromancer:/data failed, reason given by server: Permission denied

> > why?

> > I suspect the server as that's been rebuild recently.

> > THX

> > AMP

> Is the client in the /etc/hosts table on the server?
> K.

Yes, communication between both machines ok, for example X apps on
neuromancer work with DISPLAY=wintermute:0.
wintermute exists in hosts file, fully qualified & not.

AMP

 
 
 

NFS permission denied

Post by Andrew Picki » Sun, 21 Nov 1999 04:00:00


Further update,

I'm running RH6.1

/var/log/messages:

Nov 20 00:11:38 neuromancer nfs: rpc.nfsd startup succeeded
Nov 20 00:12:00 neuromancer mountd[2344]: refused mount
request from wintermute.bullgod.co.uk for /data (/): no export entry

Now this is curious. There is a bug reported on RH support concerning
RH6.1 export not working the same as previously, I don't remember the
details, but since my /etc/exports is:

wintermute.bullgod.co.uk:/data
zen.bullgod.co.uk:/data

so what's all this '(/)' stuff?

AMP

 
 
 

NFS permission denied

Post by Ken Johnso » Sun, 21 Nov 1999 04:00:00


That's not the format of my RH 6.1 /etc/exports file...  observe:

/mnt/spare pad.mylan(rw,no_root_squash) cindy.mylan(rw,no_root_squash)
/root/bin pad.mylan(rw,no_root_squash) cindy.mylan(rw,no_root_squash)

Try this order, and then bounce portmap.
K.


> Further update,

> I'm running RH6.1

> /var/log/messages:

> Nov 20 00:11:38 neuromancer nfs: rpc.nfsd startup succeeded
> Nov 20 00:12:00 neuromancer mountd[2344]: refused mount
> request from wintermute.bullgod.co.uk for /data (/): no export entry

> Now this is curious. There is a bug reported on RH support concerning
> RH6.1 export not working the same as previously, I don't remember the
> details, but since my /etc/exports is:

> wintermute.bullgod.co.uk:/data
> zen.bullgod.co.uk:/data

> so what's all this '(/)' stuff?

> AMP