ppp 2.3.11 hanging..

Post by simps.. » Tue, 04 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Hi all.. I'm running ppp 2.3.11 on kernel 2.2.13, and am getting
strange behavior when I try to bring up ppp to connect to an ISP:

I've written the ppp-on script (see below), but when I call it, the
shell just sits there with a blank line.  the logs don't reflect
anything at all happening.  I have to ctrl-z it to get back a prompt.

A little later on (5 minutes or so), the syslog says:

Quote:> Jan  2 16:40:54 fiz pppd[319]: pppd 2.3.11 started by root, uid 0
> Jan  2 16:41:41 fiz pppd[319]: Connect script failed
> Jan  2 16:41:42 fiz pppd[319]: Exit.

it never attempts to dial out or anything.  I'm wondering if I have
corrupted something, but I don't think so because it's doing
_something_.

Here's my ppp-on:

Quote:> /usr/sbin/pppd /dev/modem 38400 \
> connect "/usr/sbin/chat -f /etc/ppp/chat-netcom" \
> defaultroute modem crtscts lock

The modem works; the chat script is ok, I just think I'm doing
something wrong with the config.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Ross

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

ppp 2.3.11 hanging..

Post by k.. » Tue, 04 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> Hi all.. I'm running ppp 2.3.11 on kernel 2.2.13, and am getting
> strange behavior when I try to bring up ppp to connect to an ISP:

Have you actually connected to the ISP with any combination of pppd/
kernel previously?

Quote:> I've written the ppp-on script (see below), but when I call it, the
> shell just sits there with a blank line.  the logs don't reflect
> anything at all happening.  I have to ctrl-z it to get back a prompt.

Control-Z stops the program.  What does "jobs" show?

Quote:> A little later on (5 minutes or so), the syslog says:
>> Jan  2 16:40:54 fiz pppd[319]: pppd 2.3.11 started by root, uid 0
>> Jan  2 16:41:41 fiz pppd[319]: Connect script failed
>> Jan  2 16:41:42 fiz pppd[319]: Exit.
> it never attempts to dial out or anything.  I'm wondering if I have
> corrupted something, but I don't think so because it's doing
> _something_.

You should configure for more detailed messages.

Quote:> Here's my ppp-on:
>> /usr/sbin/pppd /dev/modem 38400 \
>> connect "/usr/sbin/chat -f /etc/ppp/chat-netcom" \
>> defaultroute modem crtscts lock

Are you sure the /dev/modem points to the correct device file?

Quote:> The modem works; the chat script is ok, I just think I'm doing

How do you verify the modem works in Linux?  You say the chat script
is OK but the message says otherwise.  It would be a good idea to
post it so that we can check it out for ourselves.

Add the chat -v option and the pppd debug option for more detailed
chat and pppd messages.

--

ppp 2.3.11 hanging..

Post by Bill Unr » Tue, 04 Jan 2000 04:00:00

]> /usr/sbin/pppd /dev/modem 38400 \
]> connect "/usr/sbin/chat -f /etc/ppp/chat-netcom" \
]> defaultroute modem crtscts lock

Put in a -v after chat, and put in debug after lock.
Then put the line
daemon.*                /var/log/messages
into /etc/syslog.conf
and do killall -1 syslogd
then try running pppd again and look in /var/log/messages for more
detailed information re what is happening.

1. ppp 2.3.11 not working

My linux box is used as a firewall to my LAN, I have been using this setup
without a problem using
ppp2-3.8 one demand with kernel 2.2.14. I decided to upgrade to ppp2.3.11
and had no problem with the installation of it, I reboot the box and
ppp-2.3.11 came up without a problem, but my demand option no longer works,
I used to be able to start the line by just doing a ping to an internet
site, but now that is not working now. Anyone had this problem before ??

thanks
Andres

2. Urgent:The Problem of "Resource temporarily unavailable" with Apache

3. 2.3.11 ppp, framing errors are killing me

4. Hola , necesito ayuda como configurar el x server.

5. trouble ppp 2.3.11 & Kernel 2.2.16

6. From LJ: Linux From Kindergarten to High School

7. mod_ssl 2.3.11-1.3.6 & 2.2.8-STABLE install problems

8. Pleas help me... USB cable modem

9. Installing elm 2.3.11 on RS6000

10. Where is latest pppd 2.3.11 please?

11. Kernel 2.3.11 - error

12. pppd.2.4.1 fails where pppd.2.3.11 worked. Why? (fwd)

13. How to tell the PPP server on FreeBSD to exit when the PPP client hang up.