Could broadcast frames in MAC layer be passed cross subnet?

Could broadcast frames in MAC layer be passed cross subnet?

How about arp packets?

Post by Tauno Voipi » Sat, 19 Aug 2006 01:01:25

> How about arp packets?

No.

ARP is intended to translate addresses in the local
subnet only.

For IP packets destined to other subnets, the routing
layer has to supply a gateway address in the local subnet.
The gateway is the ARP'ed for.

Proxy ARP means that the gateway is able to respond to
the local ARP request on behalf of a destination host
behind the gateway. The ARP is local even in this case.

--

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi

Could broadcast frames in MAC layer be passed cross subnet?

Post by Rick Jone » Sat, 19 Aug 2006 02:04:53

However, if the different IP subnets are sharing the same broadcast
domain, the ARPs will be visible to all.  Either physically separate
the subnets or do so with VLANS.

rick jones

1. User-layer tool to manipulate Ethernet Frames?

Are there any tools that can allow me to directly
manipulate ethernet frames?  I'm thinking something
like this:

        Grab a frame off the wire.
        Change it's Destination or Source MAC (or payload for that matter)
        Put it on the wire as it is.

        No, I'm not trying to hack my cable modem provider, just trying
to run some tests in the lab...

If needed, I may hack the kernel, so even pointers to GPL'ed software
that does part of this would be welcome...

Thanks,
Ben

--

(602) 581 4980    "More weight!" -- _The Crucible._
http://hydrogen:8080/home/greearb/public_html/index.html

2. Manpath, still having problems

3. Layer 3 Bridging with Broadcast Forwarding

4. 280R Fails to boot; krtld error

5. tulip and VLAN tagging - accepting larger frames without affecting higher layers?

6. CERN POST METHOD ?HELP PLEASE!

7. when does tcpdump capture link layer frame?

8. Apache and User Directories, Forbidden?

9. Transport Layer Interface / STREAMS broadcast

10. How to pass packets up to protocols layer ?

11. How to pass all packets to ip layer

12. Broadcasting on 24 subnet

13. Wireless Bridge (MAC Layer)