dynamic ip behind smc router

Post by wgemin » Mon, 09 Sep 2002 09:56:16

I am not sure whether this is the right place to post. If not, sorry for
the OT.

I had a small token ring network setup at home connection to a bell DSL
provider through machine A (running redhat 7.3). Machine A also hosts a
webserver and smtp server. I am also using ddclient to map the dynamic
ip to a fixed host name through dyndns (host name: wgemini.homeip.net).
Everything worked fine.

Due to a problem with my work vpn network (it doesn't work with token
ring), I purchased a smc 7004vbr router and reconfigure the network. Now
I still have the server on machine A, but it is connected to the router
instead of the DSL modem. I also punched several port open through
virtual server on the router. Here is the weird thing, I can't talk to
my server through wgemini.homeip.net on any machines on my intranet
anymore (either connect through token ring or directly to the router).
Instead, I have to specify the internal ip (192.168.2.5) for machine A
to get through. However, anybody outside can connect to the server
without any problem. Any suggestions?

Here's my current network.

Internet

DSL Modem

Router --- Machine A ---- IBM MAU ---- Machine B
   |                          |
   |                          |
Machine C                 Machine D

Post by wgemin » Mon, 09 Sep 2002 09:58:55

> I am not sure whether this is the right place to post. If not, sorry for
> the OT.

> I had a small token ring network setup at home connection to a bell DSL
> provider through machine A (running redhat 7.3). Machine A also hosts a
> webserver and smtp server. I am also using ddclient to map the dynamic
> ip to a fixed host name through dyndns (host name: wgemini.homeip.net).
> Everything worked fine.

> Due to a problem with my work vpn network (it doesn't work with token
> ring), I purchased a smc 7004vbr router and reconfigure the network. Now
> I still have the server on machine A, but it is connected to the router
> instead of the DSL modem. I also punched several port open through
> virtual server on the router. Here is the weird thing, I can't talk to
> my server through wgemini.homeip.net on any machines on my intranet
> anymore (either connect through token ring or directly to the router).
> Instead, I have to specify the internal ip (192.168.2.5) for machine A
> to get through. However, anybody outside can connect to the server
> without any problem. Any suggestions?

> Here's my current network.

> Internet
> DSL Modem
> Router --- Machine A ---- IBM MAU ---- Machine B
>   |                          |
>   |                          |
> Machine C                 Machine D

Oh, BTW, I can ping wgemini.homeip.net from Machine A, B, C, D without
any problem. I just can't connect to it (www, telnet, ftp, etc..) Always
say connection refused. Firewall on the router is disabled, and firewall
on Machine A has the correct setting and didn't log such incoming
connections.

Post by David Efflan » Tue, 10 Sep 2002 05:53:06

> I am not sure whether this is the right place to post. If not, sorry for
> the OT.

> I had a small token ring network setup at home connection to a bell DSL
> provider through machine A (running redhat 7.3). Machine A also hosts a
> webserver and smtp server. I am also using ddclient to map the dynamic
> ip to a fixed host name through dyndns (host name: wgemini.homeip.net).
> Everything worked fine.

> Due to a problem with my work vpn network (it doesn't work with token
> ring), I purchased a smc 7004vbr router and reconfigure the network. Now
> I still have the server on machine A, but it is connected to the router
> instead of the DSL modem. I also punched several port open through
> virtual server on the router. Here is the weird thing, I can't talk to
> my server through wgemini.homeip.net on any machines on my intranet
> anymore (either connect through token ring or directly to the router).
> Instead, I have to specify the internal ip (192.168.2.5) for machine A
> to get through. However, anybody outside can connect to the server
> without any problem. Any suggestions?

The SMC does not likely loopback internal, external, internal.  Either set
up local DNS pointing the name(s) to your LAN IP or make similar entries
in /etc/hosts or \windows\hosts of any local clients.  Linux firewalls may
have similar problem since a private IP attempting to come in through an
external interface may be considered spoofing (fake).

Quote:> Here's my current network.

> Internet
> DSL Modem
> Router --- Machine A ---- IBM MAU ---- Machine B
>    |                          |
>    |                          |
> Machine C                 Machine D

1. Wu-ftpd from behind router w/ dynamic IP

I've got the same problem, so far the only solution I found is
using a FTP server which is capable of using dyndns-addresses.

This would be RaidenFTPd. (http://www.raidenftpd.com/).

I would prefer a packet mangling solution, though, but it
seems no one is running PASV mode ftp server behind router here ;)

2. 2.3.37 hang on boot: "PCI: BIOS reporting unknown device xx:xx"

3. newbie: static ip laptop behind dynamic ip ppp link

4. Automating start of Apache don't work

5. Dynamic DNS behind an ADSL router

6. Mosaic HTTP security

7. firewall behind router and IP spoofing

8. Hard disk space...

9. mail server behind router port forwarding 25 domain static ip postfix lonux

10. wu-ftpd behind IP masquerading router

11. Getting WAN IP from behind router

12. Static IP behind Linux FW/Router

13. ip based virtual hosting behind router