Getting my linux file manager to see my windows box

Getting my linux file manager to see my windows box

Post by Charles Wallm » Thu, 09 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Does anyone know how I can get my Linux File manager to see my windows
box?

Everything is fine from the Network Neighborhood end, and I can ftp to
the windows box just fine, but I can't seem to figure out how to see
my Windows shares with my File Manager. Am I stuck with ftp?

Thanks

Charles Wallman

Getting my linux file manager to see my windows box

Post by nate dutr » Thu, 09 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Does anyone know how I can get my Linux File manager to see my windows
> box?

> Everything is fine from the Network Neighborhood end, and I can ftp to
> the windows box just fine, but I can't seem to figure out how to see
> my Windows shares with my File Manager. Am I stuck with ftp?

Yeah, basically.  Try using SAMBA that will get you some functionality, but
that network neighborhood windows stuff is basically only for windows
machines.

Post by Jeff McWilliam » Sat, 11 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> > Does anyone know how I can get my Linux File manager to see my windows
> > box?

> > Everything is fine from the Network Neighborhood end, and I can ftp to
> > the windows box just fine, but I can't seem to figure out how to see
> > my Windows shares with my File Manager. Am I stuck with ftp?

> Yeah, basically.  Try using SAMBA that will get you some functionality, but
> that network neighborhood windows stuff is basically only for windows
> machines.

You should be able to use smbmount and smbumount to mount and unmount
WIN 95 shares to
mountpoints (subdirectories) on your Linux system.  I use Debian and I
think this was part
of a package called smbclient, separate from the rest of the samba
distribution.

--
Jeff McWilliams - Engineer/Trellis Software & Controls, an H.P.
Subsidiary