PPP Question (ppp-on script)

Post by Visiting Gues » Thu, 21 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Hi

I adapted the ppp-on (using pppd-2.2) script to my needs.

So I typed

% ppp-on

and it dials and connects. I checked the /var/logs/messages
file and the last line says:

connect ppp0 <==> /dev/ttyS1 (or something very similar)
(no errors reported).

So, my problem is that after I type  ppp-on I get no prompt or
anything. It looks as if it establishes the PPP connection
but nothing else happens afterwards.

what is going on? Any clues?. How can I get a prompt and start
telneting, ftping, etc????? I suspected a problem with
the IP addresses but I checked and everything looks ok.
Can this be a problem with my modules? kernel?

thx for any help.

(I am doing all this under Slackware 3.3, kernel 2.0, pppd-2.2)

PLEASE DON'T ANSWER TO THIS ACCOUNT

PPP Question (ppp-on script)

Post by Davy De Wae » Wed, 03 Sep 1997 04:00:00

On Wed, 20 Aug 1997 11:48:26 -0700, Visiting Guest

>Hi

>I adapted the ppp-on (using pppd-2.2) script to my needs.

>So I typed

>% ppp-on

>and it dials and connects. I checked the /var/logs/messages
>file and the last line says:

>connect ppp0 <==> /dev/ttyS1 (or something very similar)
>(no errors reported).

>So, my problem is that after I type  ppp-on I get no prompt or
>anything. It looks as if it establishes the PPP connection
>but nothing else happens afterwards.

just start another terminal and try to FTP , it should work.
I don't think that ppp does anything after a connection has been
established. Just goto X and start your webbrowser , or try to
FTP , it should work , providing the PPP has been setup allright.

bye

PPP Question (ppp-on script)

Post by Decklin Foste » Sun, 07 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> I don't think that ppp does anything after a connection has been
> established.

It's supposed to run /etc/ppp/ip-up, but i can't get that to print any
informative messages because the script's stdin and stdout are
redirected to /dev/null. does anyone know how ip-up can be used for a
message? i found the use of `wall` rather annoying.

PPP Question (ppp-on script)

Post by Jim Kri » Mon, 08 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> > I don't think that ppp does anything after a connection has been
> > established.

> It's supposed to run /etc/ppp/ip-up, but i can't get that to print any
> informative messages because the script's stdin and stdout are
> redirected to /dev/null. does anyone know how ip-up can be used for a
> message? i found the use of `wall` rather annoying.

I haven't done anything like this, but it might be possible to do
something like:
    echo "Connection Established..." > `tty`
in the ip-up script.

This would send a message to the controlling terminal that started pppd,
provided that terminal still exists.

Hope this helps...

PPP Question (ppp-on script)

Post by Stan A. Rogg » Tue, 09 Sep 1997 04:00:00

On one system I created my own ip-up and ip-down scripts in perl.  I had
them doing all sorts of interesting things, including writing all the
goodies I wanted to syslog.  pppd passes arguments to these programs so
your script will know what to do.  There is an additional option you can
pppd pass.  I defined this as the name of the target site so I could
perform various needs per site.  I just did a man on pppd to get the
information I needed.

--

Harmonic System Incorporated, 701 Fourth Avenue South, Suite 320,
Minneapolis MN 55415

PPP Question (ppp-on script)

Post by Anthony Patrick For » Fri, 19 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>It's supposed to run /etc/ppp/ip-up, but i can't get that to print any
>informative messages because the script's stdin and stdout are
>redirected to /dev/null. does anyone know how ip-up can be used for a
>message? i found the use of `wall` rather annoying.

echo "$4, $3, $2, $1" > /dev/console

Anthony

1. Scripts for ppp-on, ppp-on-dialer, ppp-off

Help-

I apologize for the organization of this email.  I have read many of the
most straightforward and informative.  RCN is my ISP.  The WvDial script
works fine via gnome from one of  my other linux machines.  How do I get
this script to work using PPP.  I thought it would be easier if I provided
the site which provided the information for editing the necessary files and
scripts at the RCN site.  I hope I have not asked too much of you.  I need
the assistance of someone who really knows what they are doing.  I thought
connecting to my ISP would be a simple matter.

WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.41
Initializing modem.
Sending ATZ
ATZ
OK
Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 S11=55 +FCLASS=0
ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 S11=55 +FCLASS=0
OK
Sending: ATM0
ATM0
OK
Modem initialized.
Sending: ATDT 2128428111
Waiting for carrier.
ATDT 2128428111
CONNECT 115200
Carrier detected.  Waiting for prompt.

** Ascend TNT2.NYW.EROLS.NET Terminal Server **

Login: Looks like a login prompt.
Sending: 'myloginname'
'myloginname'
Password: Looks like a password prompt.
Sending: (password)

Basically, this is the script that works while using gnome to connect to my
ISP.

This is the script I was told to create in order to connect to my ISP using
PPP.

The site where this information is located is:
http://www.rcn./support/internet/linux/faq/general/the_files/the_file...

I am new to Linux, so I don't quite know what I am doing.  I have wondered
why the script which works for gnome does not work for pppd.

2. 2 Ethernet Cards - IRQ/Address Conflict? Help!

3. Another ipfwadm question regarding ppp-on and ppp-off scripts

4. Create PPP connection to ISP / Microsoft Remote Access Service

5. PPP and PPP and PPP and PPP and PPP and HEADACHE

6. database about hardware vendors

7. ppp-on and ppp-on-dialer scripts

8. How can I get my isa ne 2000 clone recognized with pnptools?

9. Can't Get PPP Working - Chat (ppp-on) script won't dial

10. Ask ppp-on and ppp-on-dialer for ppp connection

11. ppp-on/ppp-on-dialer/ppp-off???

12. Win95 PPP client script help needed --> SCO-5 dynamic inbound PPP

13. ppp-up and ppp-down scripts