How to setup Display variable?

Post by leoru.. » Sun, 26 Mar 2006 06:28:31

I am working on installing a software in a web server which has Linux
running on it. I am connected to the server using SecureCRT. When I
tried to run the installation program I got the following warning:

"
WARNING:  This shell's DISPLAY variable has not been set.
A valid display is required to execute this setup in GUI
mode. To execute in GUI mode, set the DISPLAY variable to
your local UNIX host, or execute this setup from a UNIX
host which has the DISPLAY variable set. To execute in
console mode, run this script with a -c option.

"

Could anyone please tell me how to set up this Display variable. It
would be easier for me if I could install using GUI.

Thanks for any help.

How to setup Display variable?

Post by Bit Twiste » Sun, 26 Mar 2006 06:37:45

Quote:> I am working on installing a software in a web server which has Linux
> running on it. I am connected to the server using SecureCRT. When I
> tried to run the installation program I got the following warning:

> Could anyone please tell me how to set up this Display variable. It
> would be easier for me if I could install using GUI.

Well, it depends on the shell, sh, ksh, csh,....

try
DISPLAY=value_here:0
export DISPLAY

Usually, value_here is node where you want display to show up.
If target node does not know your node name, you can try it's ip addy.
Example: You logged into server.some.where, you would do a

DISPLAY=131.204.80.38:0
export DISPLAY

This assumes node-80-38.tichenor.auburn.edu allows access from
server.some.where.

Post by Keith Kelle » Sun, 26 Mar 2006 08:24:40

Quote:> I am working on installing a software in a web server which has Linux
> running on it. I am connected to the server using SecureCRT. When I
> tried to run the installation program I got the following warning:
> Could anyone please tell me how to set up this Display variable. It
> would be easier for me if I could install using GUI.

It's the DISPLAY variable.  The best thing to do, if SecureCRT
and the linux sshd supports it, is to enable X11 forwarding.  Then
setting DISPLAY is handled for you.

BTW, you will also need an X server on your workstation, whether you
set DISPLAY yourself or have SecureCRT and the remote server do
it for you.

--keith

--

(try just my userid to email me)

Post by Michael Heimin » Mon, 27 Mar 2006 16:30:17

Quote:> I am working on installing a software in a web server which has Linux
> running on it. I am connected to the server using SecureCRT. When I
> tried to run the installation program I got the following warning:
> "
> WARNING:  This shell's DISPLAY variable has not been set.
> A valid display is required to execute this setup in GUI
> mode. To execute in GUI mode, set the DISPLAY variable to
> your local UNIX host, or execute this setup from a UNIX
> host which has the DISPLAY variable set. To execute in
> console mode, run this script with a -c option.
> "
> Could anyone please tell me how to set up this Display variable. It
> would be easier for me if I could install using GUI.

Easy enough, just get rid of your toy OS, which is as usual the
source of the problem. Use Linux/*BSD or any other unix OS and
use "ssh -X ..." to login from the next xterm and you shouldn't
have to worry about setting $DISPLAY.

Good luck

#bofh excuse 461: Some people use windows, others have a life...