ethernet problems!!!

Post by Mike Ker » Fri, 25 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I'm using a 3Com 3c509 card on a Red Hat 5.1 machine. The card is
recognized by Linux(I checked the boot messages - it's all there!), and
the 3c509.o modules is loaded, but i can't ping any of the other comps
on the network.
I don't know where to go from here or what other information will be
relevant...
Thanks.
Mike

ethernet problems!!!

Post by Jim Rober » Fri, 25 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

> I'm using a 3Com 3c509 card on a Red Hat 5.1 machine. The card is
> recognized by Linux(I checked the boot messages - it's all there!), and
> the 3c509.o modules is loaded, but i can't ping any of the other comps
> on the network.
> I don't know where to go from here or what other information will be
> relevant...
> Thanks.
> Mike

Mike;

There is more to networking than just installing a NIC. For us to
help we will need the output of: ifconfig   netstat -nr

Also, you will need to setup the /etc/hosts file and /etc/resolv.conf
and /etc/HOSTNAME. Check the networking FAQ then get back to us.

Jim

ethernet problems!!!

Post by Mike Ker » Fri, 25 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Never mind! It's working! Yahoo! : )
Thanks anyways...
Mike

> > I'm using a 3Com 3c509 card on a Red Hat 5.1 machine. The card is
> > recognized by Linux(I checked the boot messages - it's all there!), and
> > the 3c509.o modules is loaded, but i can't ping any of the other comps
> > on the network.
> > I don't know where to go from here or what other information will be
> > relevant...
> > Thanks.
> > Mike

> Mike;

> There is more to networking than just installing a NIC. For us to
> help we will need the output of: ifconfig   netstat -nr

> Also, you will need to setup the /etc/hosts file and /etc/resolv.conf
> and /etc/HOSTNAME. Check the networking FAQ then get back to us.

> Jim

ethernet problems!!!

Post by CodeWrigh » Fri, 25 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> I'm using a 3Com 3c509 card on a Red Hat 5.1 machine. The card is
> recognized by Linux(I checked the boot messages - it's all there!), and
> the 3c509.o modules is loaded, but i can't ping any of the other comps
> on the network.
> I don't know where to go from here or what other information will be
> relevant...
> Thanks.
> Mike

OK... Tell us what ifconfig says about the interface.

BTW: have you set up the /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 (or equivalent) which
tells the TCP/IP subsystem all about your ethernet card, including
it's IP address?

--
Lew Pitcher

Master Codewright and JOAT-in-training

1. FreeBSD 4.5 on Asus Terminator Tualatin - Ethernet problems

I've just put 4.5 onto an Asus Terminator. It already had
Win2000 on and that works fine with the drivers from the
supplied CD.

FreeBSD has problems with the onboard SIS 900 NIC, it says:

sis0: Ethernet address 00:00:00:00:00:00

Initially I thought it was because the BIOS allocated IRQ 3
to the NIC (it only has one serial port) so I disabled sio1
and rebuilt the GENERIC kernel, but no luck.

I'll try 4.4 but I'm not hopeful since I see in the 4.5 release
notes "The sis(4) driver now supports the SiS 900-style on-board
Ethernet controllers in the SiS 635 and 735 motherboard chipsets."

I'll also try a PCI NIC, though it would be a shame not to be
able to use the one already on board.

--
Jim Hatfield

2. PRINTCAP NEEDED for Panasonic KXP-4455

3. Comcast and Ethernet problem

4. 486 optimization breaks networking

5. ethernet problem

6. tar help