FTP file access...

Post by Michael Powe » Sun, 02 Sep 2001 02:48:54

Hi all

Just set up RH7 and when using ftp I can seel all the .bash_history, logout,
profile, etc files!  How can I hide these from the user?

Cheers
Mike

FTP file access...

Post by Lew Pitch » Sun, 02 Sep 2001 03:05:51

On Fri, 31 Aug 2001 18:48:54 +0100, "Michael Power"

>Hi all

>Just set up RH7 and when using ftp I can seel all the .bash_history, logout,
>profile, etc files!  How can I hide these from the user?

Why would you want to do something like that?

Lew Pitcher, Information Technology Consultant, Toronto Dominion Bank Financial Group

FTP file access...

Post by Michael Powe » Sun, 02 Sep 2001 04:57:44

Basically I'm setting the server up for work and I don't want people to be
able to see these files.  Like when you ftp into a comercial isp you don't
see the .bash and .htaccess files.  Likewise I don't want users at work to
have access to such files.

Mike

> On Fri, 31 Aug 2001 18:48:54 +0100, "Michael Power"

> >Hi all

> >Just set up RH7 and when using ftp I can seel all the .bash_history,
logout,
> >profile, etc files!  How can I hide these from the user?

> Why would you want to do something like that?

> Lew Pitcher, Information Technology Consultant, Toronto Dominion Bank
Financial Group

> (Opinions expressed are my own, not my employer's.)

FTP file access...

Post by r0gu » Sun, 02 Sep 2001 07:44:36

> Hi all

> Just set up RH7 and when using ftp I can seel all the .bash_history,
> logout, profile, etc files!  How can I hide these from the user?

> Cheers Mike

I'll assume you log onto the ftp server as your user/password, which will
put you at your home dir.  An anonymous ftp (anonymous/guest) will place
the user at the ftp root.

FTP file access...

Post by Carlos Vicent » Sun, 02 Sep 2001 10:17:51

Quote:> Just set up RH7 and when using ftp I can seel all the .bash_history,

logout,

Does that happen with loging in as anonymous or as a regular user with an
account?

FTP file access...

Post by Dean Thompso » Sun, 02 Sep 2001 12:33:11

Hi!,

Quote:>> Just set up RH7 and when using ftp I can seel all the .bash_history,
>> logout,

> Does that happen with loging in as anonymous or as a regular user with an
> account?

I don't think it does this when you do connect to your account through the FTP
daemon.

See ya

Dean Thompson

FTP file access...

Post by Lew Pitche » Mon, 03 Sep 2001 12:52:22

Message rearranged to correct top-posting

> > On Fri, 31 Aug 2001 18:48:54 +0100, "Michael Power"

> > >Hi all

> > >Just set up RH7 and when using ftp I can seel all the .bash_history,
> logout,
> > >profile, etc files!  How can I hide these from the user?

> > Why would you want to do something like that?

> Basically I'm setting the server up for work and I don't want people to be
> able to see these files.  Like when you ftp into a comercial isp you don't
> see the .bash and .htaccess files.  Likewise I don't want users at work to
> have access to such files.

Well, on a commercial ISP (where the customer does not have a
commandline account), the ISP doesn't put such files into the customer's
directory. That's why they don't show up in the customer's FTP.

What you ask can't normally be done, and shouldn't be done to FTP users
who also have shell access to the system. Some of those hidden files are
legitimately eligible for FTP access (a customer wants to update his
.htaccess file from a copy on his personal machine, for instance) and
shouldn't be hidden.

Persue this and you'll reach BOFH status quickly.

--
Lew Pitcher

Master Codewright and JOAT-in-training
Registered Linux User #112576

FTP file access...

Post by Carlos Vicent » Mon, 03 Sep 2001 20:30:46

Well I had the same problem but I have already fix it. I created a guest
user.

You can create a gues user just like you create a regular user. The
diference is that  you have to change the entry in /etc/passwd. Imgine your
guest user is called "frendly", then you'll have to change the entry to
something like:

frendly:x:502:502:guest acct:/var/ftp/./pub:/etc/ftponly

the number 502 might be something else depending on the number of resgitered
users. The (.) means that /var/ftp is the root file access to the user
friendly so he can't "cd" below.
In the file /etc/ftpaccess you'll have to add "guestuser friendly". Finaly
so that this user can upload files to the /pub directory you'll have to set
him as owner. In the terminal:

chown -R 502:502 /var/ftp/pub

Have fun!!

FTP file access...

Post by Carlos Vicent » Mon, 03 Sep 2001 20:41:52

Forgot to mension one thing. The /etc/ftponly in the user entry at the
/etc/passwd prevents that a shell runs if this user tries to access via
telnet or ssh.

You have to add /etc/ftponly in the file /etc/shells.

CJMV

1. Limiting FTP file access

I have FTP setup for real users only.
I want to limit the files they can access to their home directory.
I read ftpaccess and don't see how (but, on the other hand, I only
understand part of the man page)

Actually, if possible, I would like to restrict each user to a defined
directory and it's subdirectories (for web page creation/updating)

Can this be done ? how ?
--

-bill-

2. setuid programs and so libraries

3. FTP file access error?

4. Installed Linux now Windows freezes durring booting

5. how to make external host access internal Ftp files on FTP server?

6. How to get pid from process name?

7. File Access - Does Owner Access Override Group Access?

8. Behind last week's news: Speculation about potential sale of Sun [analysis]

9. ftp simutaneous file access problem

10. chroot'd FTP user can access system files via cgi

11. Can't access winxp (unicode) files from linux FTP server...

12. FTP Access File Restrictions

13. Trouble renaming files with anonymous ftp access