gateway sends an invalid ICMP error to a broadcast(?!)

gateway sends an invalid ICMP error to a broadcast(?!)

Post by Michael Carmod » Mon, 18 Oct 1999 04:00:00

I have set up Mandrake 6.0 on a computer on a LAN.  After booting up I
get the message:

                XXX.XXX.XXX.33 sent an invalid ICMP error to a broadcast.

The XXX.XXX.XXX.33 is the address of my gateway.  I have no idea what
this message means but it's really annoying.  There don't seem to be any
problems.  I can access IP addresses both on my subnet and on the
internet.  I set up SuSE, BSD, and BeOS on partitions on the same
machine with the same networking info but haven't ever gotten this
message before. How do I stop this irritating message from constantly
(every minute or so) being sent?

TIA
Mike

gateway sends an invalid ICMP error to a broadcast(?!)

Post by DV » Tue, 19 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I saw this message as well. Shutting down nmbd will make it go away, but
that isn't really a solution for me. The nice way would be to have them
logged somewhere but I haven't been able to do that. Hope this helps.

Dusan

Quote:> I have set up Mandrake 6.0 on a computer on a LAN.  After booting up I
> get the message:

> XXX.XXX.XXX.33 sent an invalid ICMP error to a broadcast.

> The XXX.XXX.XXX.33 is the address of my gateway.  I have no idea what
> this message means but it's really annoying.  There don't seem to be any
> problems.  I can access IP addresses both on my subnet and on the
> internet.  I set up SuSE, BSD, and BeOS on partitions on the same
> machine with the same networking info but haven't ever gotten this
> message before. How do I stop this irritating message from constantly
> (every minute or so) being sent?

> TIA
> Mike

1. gateway sends an invalid ICMP error to a broadcast(?!)

Hi Folks,

I have the same problem. I also need help to solve the problem,
because my ISDN system dials automatically when the error occurs (a
kind of expensive...).

When scanning the device IPPP0 with tcpdump, the error doesn't occur,
but this also is no proper solution.

Does anybody have a solution?

Thx.

Timo

2. /etc/conf.modules syntax?

3. blah sent up an invalid ICMP error to a broadcast.

4. NEC laptop and XF86

5. <gatewayIP> sent an invalid ICMP error to a broadcast

6. Scrollwheels

7. 191.1.1.5 sent an invalid ICMP error to a broadcast

8. For those who want From: lines on bk-commits-* mail

9. make icmp.c be more verbose on broadcast icmp errors

10. 2.5.70 invalid icmp broadcast.

11. <Gateway> sent an invalid ICMP error to a broadcast?!? Help!

12. Linux 2.0.32 gateway not sending ICMP HOST UNREACHABLE

13. Invalid ICMP Error???