NFS: specifying uid for mount on client

Post by Kelly Grizzl » Thu, 14 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Hi,
I am trying to mount an nfs drive through the /etc/fstab file.  Is there
any way to specify which user and group to mount the directory as?
Also, I do I need to run an NIS server to do this?  I appreciate any
help at all.
Thanks,
Kelly

NFS: specifying uid for mount on client

Post by Rod Smi » Fri, 15 Sep 2000 12:46:34

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> Hi,
> I am trying to mount an nfs drive through the /etc/fstab file.  Is there
> any way to specify which user and group to mount the directory as?

This question is meaningless. NFS exports ownership and permissions; no
one user owns all the files on an NFS-mounted partition (unless of
course all the files at the source have the same ownership). If the user
IDs on the two computers don't match, you can use the map_static option
to point to a username map file. For instance, in /etc/exports on the
server:

/home clientname(rw,map_static=/etc/nfs/clientname.map)

The file /etc/nfs/clientname.map would then contain something like this:

uid 501 504
uid 502 511
uid 503 501
uid 504 505
uid 505 502

This would map user ID 501 on the client to the local user 504; client
user ID 502 to local ID 511; and so on.

Quote:> Also, I do I need to run an NIS server to do this?

No.

--

http://www.rodsbooks.com
Author of books on Linux & multi-OS configuration

NFS: specifying uid for mount on client

Post by thed.. » Thu, 05 Oct 2000 09:02:38

I am having trouble using the map_static parameter
on RedHat 6.1.

The error I receive is:
  exportfs: Unknown keyword "map_static=/etc/nfs/
deepblue.map" in export file

my entry in /etc/exports is:
/export deepblue(rw,map_static=/etc/nfs/
deepblue.map)

any ideas?

In article <

> [Posted and mailed]

> > Hi,
> > I am trying to mount an nfs drive through the /etc/fstab file.  Is there
> > any way to specify which user and group to mount the directory as?

> This question is meaningless. NFS exports ownership and permissions; no
> one user owns all the files on an NFS-mounted partition (unless of
> course all the files at the source have the same ownership). If the user
> IDs on the two computers don't match, you can use the map_static option
> to point to a username map file. For instance, in /etc/exports on the
> server:

> /home clientname(rw,map_static=/etc/nfs/clientname.map)

> The file /etc/nfs/clientname.map would then contain something like this:

> uid 501 504
> uid 502 511
> uid 503 501
> uid 504 505
> uid 505 502

> This would map user ID 501 on the client to the local user 504; client
> user ID 502 to local ID 511; and so on.

> > Also, I do I need to run an NIS server to do this?

> No.

> --

> http://www.rodsbooks.com
> Author of books on Linux & multi-OS configuration

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

NFS: specifying uid for mount on client

Post by thed.. » Thu, 05 Oct 2000 09:37:32

I am using knfsd with RedHat 6.1

in /etc/exports
  /export deepblue(rw,map_static=/etc/nfs/deepblue.map)

my error:
  exportfs: Unknown keyword "map_static=/etc/nfs/deepblue.map" in export
file

The map_static keyword in in the man pages on that system, as well as in
how-tos at redhat.com

This seems to be a common issue -- I found a number of posts but didn't
see any workarounds / explanations or solutions. <bummer>

Thanks
-best-darr-

> [Posted and mailed]

> > Hi,
> > I am trying to mount an nfs drive through the /etc/fstab file.  Is there
> > any way to specify which user and group to mount the directory as?

> This question is meaningless. NFS exports ownership and permissions; no
> one user owns all the files on an NFS-mounted partition (unless of
> course all the files at the source have the same ownership). If the user
> IDs on the two computers don't match, you can use the map_static option
> to point to a username map file. For instance, in /etc/exports on the
> server:

> /home clientname(rw,map_static=/etc/nfs/clientname.map)

> The file /etc/nfs/clientname.map would then contain something like this:

> uid 501 504
> uid 502 511
> uid 503 501
> uid 504 505
> uid 505 502

> This would map user ID 501 on the client to the local user 504; client
> user ID 502 to local ID 511; and so on.

> > Also, I do I need to run an NIS server to do this?

> No.

> --

> http://www.rodsbooks.com
> Author of books on Linux & multi-OS configuration

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. NFS backup auto mount on client when NFS server fail...!

Hi guys,

    I have 2 NFS (Srv1 and Srv2) , Srv2 is the backup of Srv1.
i have make an sutomount an NFS from Srv1 eg: /oracle to client
workstation.
    can i also "automount" Srv2 NFS eg: /oracle if Srv1 is
down?however, i would like to alway give Srv1 NFS priority compare to
Srv2.

Thanks in advance

keane

2. Extended Hardware Buffering on PS/2?

3. problem with NFS client mount at boot up if client

4. Problems with firewall startup

5. nfs clients don't see other mounts under nfs export

6. Lilo + UMSDOS Question ?

7. NFS security problems: aliasing uid on clients.

8. Dual Pentium Pro 200: Is it supported?

9. Linux NFS client problem with uid 60001

10. Mapping UIDs on NFS Mounts w/o NIS?

11. /var/mail: to NFS mount or not to NFS mount?

12. nfs mount to a nfs mount fails

13. nfs mount problem: mount: can't get address for nfs-server.kauai