3Com 3C590 && Linux 1.2.13?

Post by Russell McOrmon » Wed, 05 Jun 1996 04:00:00

I don't know if this is a FAQ, but I have a new machine with a new PCI Ethernet
card in it that I want to run under Linux 1.2.13.  Is this possible, and if so,
what drivers (and from where) do I need to set up?

  Any help greatly appreciated - thanks!

--
 Russell McOrmond, Consultant : Flora St, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, Earth, ...
 Looking for alternative community networking in Ottawa?  Have some

3Com 3C590 && Linux 1.2.13?

Post by Chris Bradfie » Sat, 08 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>I don't know if this is a FAQ, but I have a new machine with a new PCI Ethernet
>card in it that I want to run under Linux 1.2.13.  Is this possible, and if so,
>what drivers (and from where) do I need to set up?

>  Any help greatly appreciated - thanks

I've just had to do this. :-)

The card is supported in the kernel for 1.3.? but there's a loadable
module for 1.2.13 that works great.  I don't have the link handy,
but it's in the Ethernet-HOWTO.

Chris

3Com 3C590 && Linux 1.2.13?

Post by Scott Rane » Tue, 11 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> I don't know if this is a FAQ, but I have a new machine with a new PCI Ethernet
> card in it that I want to run under Linux 1.2.13.  Is this possible, and if so,
> what drivers (and from where) do I need to set up?

>   Any help greatly appreciated - thanks!

Here's a URL where you can get the driver:
http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/linux/linux.html

The driver mostly works, but we're still seeing it or the card lock
up on occasion, requiring a reboot to reset it and get the system
working again.  It's a reproducible problem and depends on the
machine at the other end and the exact operation, so I suspect
the driver.
  Regards,
    Scott

Quote:> --
>  Russell McOrmond, Consultant : Flora St, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, Earth, ...
>  Looking for alternative community networking in Ottawa?  Have some
>  volunteer time? see FLORA Community WEB: <URL:http://www.flora.ottawa.on.ca/>

Tcl and ksh: syntactic gymnastics
MetaCard: it does what you think

3Com 3C590 && Linux 1.2.13?

Post by Byron A Je » Wed, 12 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>> I don't know if this is a FAQ, but I have a new machine with a new PCI Ethernet
>> card in it that I want to run under Linux 1.2.13.  Is this possible, and if so,
>> what drivers (and from where) do I need to set up?

>>   Any help greatly appreciated - thanks!

>Here's a URL where you can get the driver:
>http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/linux/linux.html

The drive is also in late model kernels (including 2.0). I had no problem
except I thought it would detect and use the NE2000 I also had in the
system when I rebooted. Moved the cable and Poof! instant network.

I'm itching to try it on a 100 Mbit line...

BAJ
--
Another random extraction from the mental bit stream of...
Byron A. Jeff - PhD student operating in parallel - And Using Linux!

1. 1.2.13 install with Slackware 3.0 & AHA2940 & 3c590

Hi,

  I will have to install Linux 1.2.13 using the Slackware 3.0 5 CDs
distribution
on a machine with a 3c590 ethernet card and an Adpatec 2940 SCSI adapter
(Bios version not yet known, all hard disks and the CD drive will be SCSI).

 Anybody knows if I should expect problems? (apart from those caused by being
a Linux newbie ;-) )

In particular:

- Will I still need to get the vortex drivers for the 3c590 from the server
  named in the Slackware 2.3 Ethernet-HOWTO or are they now part of the
release?

- If the Adaptec's BIOS is not the dreaded 1.21, does the supplied boot disks
  allow a smooth installation from the SCSI CD drive?

- What if the BIOS is the dreaded 1.21?
  I understood that the 1.3.43 boot disk from
   ftp.ims.com/pub/Linux/aic7xxx/Experiment works fine even with 1.21, can I
use
   it to recompile a 1.2.13 kernel with the necessary modification in pci.h
   and then install 1.2.13?
  Is there any easier solution?

thanks,
          - Guillaume -
 Guillaume Le Stum                                        ORSTOM Ile de France

 http://www.orstom.fr/~lestum/

2. LAN and Permissions

3. Linux 1.2.13 and 3COM 3c590

4. Additional ide disk

5. PS/1 Printer/28.8 USRobotics/Video7 && Linux 1.2.13 -> HELP, please

6. Installation Problem Redhat 7.0

7. IP alias - Kernel crash - 1.2.13 kernel, 3com 3c590 module

8. Problem: "last bit set to zero" from pppd

9. 3Com 3c590 and kernel 1.2.13

10. Linux 1.2.13, BIND, & sendmail 8.7 mail store & forwarding for non-ip domains

11. 1.2.13 & win95 & /dev/lp0...

12. system hangs 1.2.13 AHA-2940 & SB16-SCSI-II & ATI Mach64

13. Exabyte & AHA1542 don't like Redhat & 1.2.13?