ppp headache

Post by Huang Jingmi » Wed, 14 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I'm new to linux and just installed a Red Hat 5.1 on my PC.
My PC has a LT win modem (k56 FleX) attached to COM 3, which
works fine under Window 95. But the modem has no response when
I tried to test it with minicom.

I configure minicom with -s option and set serial device to
/dev/cua2. After minicom is fired, it shows two lines of head
information and then wait for the response from the modem forever.
I have no clue of what's wrong.

Any suggestion is welcome!

Jinming

ppp headache

Post by Stephane Vi » Wed, 14 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I'm new to linux and just installed a Red Hat 5.1 on my PC.
>My PC has a LT win modem (k56 FleX) attached to COM 3, which
>works fine under Window 95. But the modem has no response when
>I tried to test it with minicom.

        Winmodems aren't supported by Linux as far as I know. Get rid of it :)

                                        Stephane Viau

--
Visit the Catacombs!
#catacombs, Undernet IRC.

ppp headache

Post by Ernesto Hernandez-Novi » Sat, 17 Oct 1998 04:00:00

: I'm new to linux and just installed a Red Hat 5.1 on my PC.
: My PC has a LT win modem (k56 FleX) attached to COM 3, which
: works fine under Window 95. But the modem has no response when
: I tried to test it with minicom.

: I configure minicom with -s option and set serial device to
: /dev/cua2. After minicom is fired, it shows two lines of head
: information and then wait for the response from the modem forever.
: I have no clue of what's wrong.

Anything named WinModem is not a REAL modem. It won't work with Linux,
you have to change it. It's not a REAL modem because it has a crippled
circuitry, and the Windows drivers does the job using YOUR CPU instead
of the chips it ought to have! It pisses you off right?

--

Just another Unix/Perl/Java hacker running Linux 2.0.35
One thing is to be the most popular, and another is to be the best.

ppp headache

Post by lf11 » Wed, 30 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> I'm new to linux and just installed a Red Hat 5.1 on my PC.
> My PC has a LT win modem (k56 FleX) attached to COM 3, which
> works fine under Window 95. But the modem has no response when
> I tried to test it with minicom.

> I configure minicom with -s option and set serial device to
> /dev/cua2. After minicom is fired, it shows two lines of head
> information and then wait for the response from the modem forever.
> I have no clue of what's wrong.

> Any suggestion is welcome!

> Jinming

cua0 = com1
cua1 = com2
cua2 = com3
cua3 = com4

The numbers are jumped down -- Linux starts at 0, while DOS (The COM
numbers) starts at 1.  You have the modem on cua2 which is COM2?  Try
cua1.

  Christopher

ppp headache

Post by Leighton Shan » Wed, 30 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>> I'm new to linux and just installed a Red Hat 5.1 on my PC.
>> My PC has a LT win modem (k56 FleX) attached to COM 3, which
>> works fine under Window 95. But the modem has no response when
>> I tried to test it with minicom.

The problem is your modem.  It's a winmodem, which means that the actual
modem itself is basically nothing more than a phone jack connected to a pc
board.  All of the functionality of the modem is provided through software
that runs under windoze.  They usually work nice in win95, but they won't
work worth a* in any other OS.  In short, your only option is to get
a new modem.

-leighton

Leighton Shank       HelpDesk Consultant

http://www.veryComputer.com/

A fine example of an oxymoron in a top
software product:  Microsoft Works.

ppp headache

Post by Randy Ha » Thu, 31 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I doubt WinModem will work under Linux.

>> I'm new to linux and just installed a Red Hat 5.1 on my PC.
>> My PC has a LT win modem (k56 FleX) attached to COM 3, which
>> works fine under Window 95. But the modem has no response when
>> I tried to test it with minicom.

>> I configure minicom with -s option and set serial device to
>> /dev/cua2. After minicom is fired, it shows two lines of head
>> information and then wait for the response from the modem forever.
>> I have no clue of what's wrong.

>> Any suggestion is welcome!

>> Jinming

>cua0 = com1
>cua1 = com2
>cua2 = com3
>cua3 = com4

>The numbers are jumped down -- Linux starts at 0, while DOS (The COM
>numbers) starts at 1.  You have the modem on cua2 which is COM2?  Try
>cua1.

>  Christopher

ppp headache

Post by Ed Cogbur » Mon, 04 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> I doubt WinModem will work under Linux.

> >> I'm new to linux and just installed a Red Hat 5.1 on my PC.
> >> My PC has a LT win modem (k56 FleX) attached to COM 3, which
> >> works fine under Window 95. But the modem has no response when
> >> I tried to test it with minicom.

        I'm afraid you've been screwed.  Winmodems won't work under Linux
because they've had their brains lobotomized.  In Windows the modem
drivers have the code that used to be in the modem.  The manufacturer's
save a few pennies per modem and MS's monopoly is reinforced.  Even
Intel likes Winmodems because the processing that was done on the card
is now done by the main CPU.  This forces you to stick to the regimented
upgrade cycle because of the need of more CPU power to run the latest
bloatware from MS, and stupid pieces of garbage otherwise referred to as
Winmodems.
        These drivers are inherently difficult to re-engineer even if the
hardware specs were available, which they aren't.  It is easier for most
folks to get a real modem, then spend a few man-years of work trying to
make a driver for these worthless POS.  So don't hold your breath for a
driver; just get a real modem.

--
Ed C.

1. Release 5.0.2 PPP headaches

We have an OpenServer 5.0.2 and am trying to get it connected to our ISP.
I would like the connection to come up automatically when a request is made.
The IP addresses are supplied by the ISP.  I finally got it working manually,
by using pppattach,  and then doing a route with the IP address that
was assigned to me by the ISP.  Although this works, somehow it does
not sound correct.  Eventually we are going to have Win95 pc's attached to the
OpenServer, and so I require the link to be transparent.

1.  How can I get the SCO box to connect automatically upon request, If I do
not know my IP address?.

2. Would Internet Faststart simplify the setup?

3. Can I have a Dynamic outgoing ppp connection without knowing my IP address?

4. Where can I pickup netscape for SCO?

Thank you in advance for your help....I'm running out of hair.....Should have
been a brain surgeon.

                      ___
                     /   \
                 ___|  C  |  Cantel
                /   \\___/
               |  C  |___   Computer
                \___//   \
Gerry Valente       |  C  |  Corp.

2. help regarding tcp/ip sockets ????

3. ppp headache

4. Virtual Host & Basic Auth

5. PPP headache!!!

6. Any JAZZ users?

7. PPP headaches

8. printing - piobe to user defined prog

9. PPP and PPP and PPP and PPP and PPP and HEADACHE

10. PPP Server Activation Headaches

11. PPP Server headaches!!

12. PPP 2.3.3 Headaches