DNS problems with rp-pppoe and Verizon DSL

DNS problems with rp-pppoe and Verizon DSL

Post by cemp.. » Wed, 10 Jan 2001 01:41:37

I amm connecting to my DSL service (Verizon) and ISP (GTE) using
rp-ppoe 2.5 (roaring penguin)

Manage to authenticate myself successfully.
rp-ppoe creates the DNS server entries in /etc/resolv.conf correctly
Can ping sites by IP address, but not by name.
route -n shows no default route

How do I tell ppp to contact the DNS servers?

Thanks

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

DNS problems with rp-pppoe and Verizon DSL

Post by <jos.. » Wed, 10 Jan 2001 10:46:24

If you can ping sites by IP address, then your routing table is fine, and
your name resolver is not configured correctly.

Or something similar. I forgot exactly where,

> I amm connecting to my DSL service (Verizon) and ISP (GTE) using
> rp-ppoe 2.5 (roaring penguin)

> Manage to authenticate myself successfully.
> rp-ppoe creates the DNS server entries in /etc/resolv.conf correctly
> Can ping sites by IP address, but not by name.
> route -n shows no default route

> How do I tell ppp to contact the DNS servers?

> Thanks

> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

DNS problems with rp-pppoe and Verizon DSL

Post by cemp.. » Thu, 11 Jan 2001 08:05:29

Got it sorted out.
Although rp-ppoe was correctly putting in the DNS addresses, for some
strange reasons it works if I specify it myself and add my gateway to
the search.

> I amm connecting to my DSL service (Verizon) and ISP (GTE) using
> rp-ppoe 2.5 (roaring penguin)

> Manage to authenticate myself successfully.
> rp-ppoe creates the DNS server entries in /etc/resolv.conf correctly
> Can ping sites by IP address, but not by name.
> route -n shows no default route

> How do I tell ppp to contact the DNS servers?

> Thanks

> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Post by Thomas Am » Fri, 19 Jan 2001 21:37:09

> Got it sorted out.
> Although rp-ppoe was correctly putting in the DNS addresses, for some
> strange reasons it works if I specify it myself and add my gateway to
> the search.

> > I amm connecting to my DSL service (Verizon) and ISP (GTE) using
> > rp-ppoe 2.5 (roaring penguin)

> > Manage to authenticate myself successfully.
> > rp-ppoe creates the DNS server entries in /etc/resolv.conf correctly
> > Can ping sites by IP address, but not by name.
> > route -n shows no default route

> > How do I tell ppp to contact the DNS servers?

> > Thanks

> > Sent via Deja.com
> > http://www.deja.com/

> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

I experienced the same problem with T-DSL and I read lots of desperate
questions on my ISP's forum concerning it.
It seems that you have to set up DNS on your box, or in a LAN on the
gateway. (I did so and it was 100% successful).
So I recommend to everyone using DSL (especially if you've got more than 1
NIC) to set up a simple caching DNS-server.

--
trash cluster stats:
last hardware crash 2000-11-20

1. rp-pppoe, Verizon DSL, and firewall confusion

The problem I am having is actually pretty simple, I would have thought
anyway:

I want to be able to open and close ports in UDP and TCP.  However, I have
tried various ways of doing this through my rc.local file using the ipchains
command after having recompiled the 2.2x kernel with rp-pppoe-2.2.  If the
firewall program is automatically run (how would I know besides looking for
an echo in the boot process?  Is there an equivalent to an "autoexec.bat"
file that calls the scripts?), how can I see what ports are and aren't open
for transmission from a client on my internal network (each client is
running Win98se)?

ANY help would be greatly appreciated.  I've tried reading HOWTOs, etc. and
have nearly given up after all this time that I've been unable to access
certain ports for two-way communication.  I really don't want to revert to
an NT or 2k server, especially not on a P120 :)

Thanks in advance!

--
- Joe

--
- Joe

2. TROJAN ALERT! (JS/Loop)

3. RH8.0 bundled rp-pppoe (rp-pppoe-3.4-7) problem, please help.

4. has vtwm been ported to Solaris?

5. Verizon DSL + RedHat 7.2 + RP PPPoE 3.2-3 = system hangs

6. Netswitcher for Linux?

7. rp-pppoe DSL problem

8. It's all in the XF86Config, right?

9. Connecting to DSL using Linux and rp-pppoe

10. rp-pppoe, kernel 2.4.x and DSL (PacBell)

11. Timeout waiting for PADO packets, rp-pppoe with MindSpring DSL

12. Has anybody used a dynamic DNS tool with RP-PPPoE.

13. rp-pppoe 3.1 -- Robust PPPoE suite for Linux