DHCP and Kernel config

Post by Andre Ili » Fri, 19 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hi

I'm using the ISC DHCP server on a 2.2.1 kernel. The Win98 machines have no
problems using the DHCP server. But the Linux machines are always loosing
leases. I can see (with iptraf) that the NICs of the linux machines send
ARPs to FFFFFFF.. and don't get a reply. After this the machine stops the
NIC.

Do I have to enable reverse ARP (or so) in the Kernel on the server to get
this workin?

cya
    Shoki

P.S. Yes, I did route add 255.255.255.255 eth0

DHCP and Kernel config

Post by Nick Zenten » Fri, 19 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> Hi

> I'm using the ISC DHCP server on a 2.2.1 kernel. The Win98 machines have no
> problems using the DHCP server. But the Linux machines are always loosing
> leases. I can see (with iptraf) that the NICs of the linux machines send
> ARPs to FFFFFFF.. and don't get a reply. After this the machine stops the
> NIC.

        Hi,
                There is a mailing list for ISC DHCP. The developer
responds there. The only thing I had to do was mkdir
/var/db  It wasn't there to begin with and when the system
went to renew the lease it would fail. Works fine now.

        Nick

--
SuSE 6.0
Linux 2.2.1

1. RH 5.1 flawless ftp-dhcp install; dhcp config retained; dhcp fails @ boot

DHCP fails to configure a network connection, even after it worked
wonderfully for an ftp install of RH 5.1 and I retained the network
configuration during the install process.  The relevant message on the
console during bootup is: DHCP ... failed.  The only message in
/var/log/messages that appears to be relevant is "no DHCPOFFER".
/sbin/ifconfig lists nothing for eth0.

A number of modules relevant to DHCP are loaded. I assume that all
necessary modules have been loaded.  The eithernet card also appears
to be correctly recognized.

I've read but not yet tried the Red Hat hacks listed in the DHCPcd
mini-HOWTO.  Has anyone successfully used these on RH 5.1?

Thanks,
Dick

--

Remove the underscore from my e-mail address to reply by mail.

2. MPU401 lockup problems

3. Kernel-Level DHCP Config

4. mgetty woes

5. Matrox Mystique ands X.

6. X doesn't recover after screen switch

7. kernel.config and boot.config?

8. Q: preemptible kernel and interrupts consistency.

9. boot.config and kernel.config

10. Kernel Panic on Visual Kernel Config

11. config KERNEL doesn't delete old compile/KERNEL directory

12. Recreate kernel .config-file for existing redhat7-kernel

13. Solaris dhcp config / pxe (again)