PPP doesn't work when eth0 is active

Post by jkim » Fri, 22 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I successfully installed a network card and was able to ping other computers
on the network.  However when eth0 is enabled then PPP doesn't seem to work.
The dialup and connnection is okay but when I try to ping something on the
internet I don't get any replys.  When I disable eth0 then PPP works fine.
There is some sort of conflict but I don't know why.  Please help.

Thanks You
Jae

PPP doesn't work when eth0 is active

Post by Reinde » Sat, 23 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I think you could try making sure that your PPP connection becomes the default
gateway when active. It sounds as if your trying to ping adresses on the
internet using the default gateway eth0.

> Hi,

> I successfully installed a network card and was able to ping other computers
> on the network.  However when eth0 is enabled then PPP doesn't seem to work.
> The dialup and connnection is okay but when I try to ping something on the
> internet I don't get any replys.  When I disable eth0 then PPP works fine.
> There is some sort of conflict but I don't know why.  Please help.

> Thanks You
> Jae

PPP doesn't work when eth0 is active

Post by Charles Stac » Sat, 23 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Sounds to me like you have a default route pointing to eth0.  Type route -n
and see what comes up.  You're default route will be 0.0.0.0 and you should
see a device associated with it.  Also, you'll probably see the flags -UG
(indicating UP and Gateway).

If this is indeed the case, you'll need to get rid of the default gateway.
Initially, try "route del default" to delete it.  Then, try to establish
your ppp connection.  Once you think the ppp connection is
established...type "ifconfig" to verify that the interface has been created.
Then, do another route -n to see what routes are active.

Eventually, you'll need to edit (I think it's /etc/network) and remove the
default route and default gateway device.
If you have RH 5.2, you can make the correction using linuxconf.  Remember
to reboot.

In my RH 5.2 setup (which is similar to yours), I have two routes set up and
NO default route.  This results in some warnings at startup but don't seem
to affect my system.  I should also point out that my machine is configured
with IP Mascarade and that I have another script that runs to set up the
routes here as well.  But, even if I don't run the script, the other steps
solved the problem you describe.

HTH,

Charles

> [...]

routes here as well.  But, even if I don't run the script, the other steps
solved the problem you describe.

HTH,

Charles

>Hi,

>I successfully installed a network card and was able to ping other
computers
>on the network.  However when eth0 is enabled then PPP doesn't seem to
work.
>The dialup and connnection is okay but when I try to ping something on the
>internet I don't get any replys.  When I disable eth0 then PPP works fine.
>There is some sort of conflict but I don't know why.  Please help.

>Thanks You
>Jae

PPP doesn't work when eth0 is active

Post by Charles Stac » Sat, 23 Jan 1999 04:00:00

My newsreader burped...

1. PPP doesn't die, it just doesn't work anymore

I have a communications server that's been giving us fits for a few
months now.  I can't seem to locate the problem.  I've been searching
DejaNews for analogous problem, but it looks like it's either something
I'm doing wrong, or I can't find it from the keywords I'm using.

    The machine will call the ISP on startup and work just fine, using a
static IP, BTW.  After a few hours it simply gets 'clogged' and won't
ping in either direction anymore.  The machine is pinging a couple of
times a minute in order to defeat the idelout on the terminal server,
but despite the inability to ping, it still doesn't hang up.  This
usually happens after several hours of no non-ping activity, like
overnight.

    So we have a site that won't communicate and won't hang up either.
It's running 4.2 (for now) but in desperation, I intend to 'flush and
fill' 5.0 on it this weekend, though I'd rather not.

    It's too old a pppd to support "nomagic" and similar options...is
there anything that anyone has seen like this so far?

    Brian

Brian Fahrlander                       Problem Solver, Technomad, and
Linux-head
Evansville, IN
ICQ:5119262
http://dynasty.net/users/kilroy
  Treason? "It's not wether it happened, but the seriousness of the
charge."
                                                         -- Right, Mr.
Gingrich?

2. RAID 5 or RAID 0&1

3. 'ppp-on' Works, 'ifup ppp0' Doesn't

4. Can I download LYNX and install it?

5. Re. bffcreate -X doesn't work Re: bffcreate -X Doesn't Work

6. free_task_struct() called too early?

7. Active ISDN ICN card doesn't work with Kernels 2.4.x

8. ne2000,3c509,frustrated and about to give up

9. ppp-on doesn't work, ppp error: tcgetattr

10. setenvif doesn't seem to work properly - what am I doing wrong ?

11. ppp-2.2 doesn't work whereas ppp2.1.2d works - why?

12. PPP connection works well ,while SLIP connection doesn't work,why and how?

13. UUCP - eth0 - rnews doesn't work anymore