Configuring Linux for internet access thru Proxy server

Configuring Linux for internet access thru Proxy server

Post by navde » Thu, 02 Aug 2001 02:07:20

hello evrybody,

i manage a networkin lab at our college.
i would like to know how can i configure my rehat linux 7.0 machine to
have internet access which is being offered through a proxy server
installed on a win 2000 sever machine.

thanx
Navi

Configuring Linux for internet access thru Proxy server

Post by josep » Thu, 02 Aug 2001 02:14:10

If the proxy server is some sane implimentation, you set the proxies in the
browser.
If not, you have to figure out what oddball scheme is in place..

You will have to make entries in /etc/resolv.conf for your dns servers
nameserver 205.101.150.172
nameserver 207.107.193.105

these numbers are random - you must put in your dns server's ip.

Alternately, if the win2000 server is using a NAT feature, set it as your
gateway.

good luck.

Quote:> hello evrybody,

> i manage a networkin lab at our college.
> i would like to know how can i configure my rehat linux 7.0 machine to
> have internet access which is being offered through a proxy server
> installed on a win 2000 sever machine.

> thanx
> Navi

Configuring Linux for internet access thru Proxy server

Post by Dean Thompso » Fri, 03 Aug 2001 14:14:22

Hi!,

Quote:> i manage a networkin lab at our college.
> i would like to know how can i configure my rehat linux 7.0 machine to
> have internet access which is being offered through a proxy server
> installed on a win 2000 sever machine.

The first thing you will need to do is work out the hostname/ip address of the
proxy server and the port on which the proxy server is running.  It is most
likely going to be port 80 or port 8080.  You will then need to go into
something like "netscape" or other browser and go to the proxy section and
specify that you need to go through a proxy to get out to the rest of the
world.

I personally like the manual configuration option, but some people where
possible provide a .pac (proxy script) to configure their system.  The most
important thing to do in your proxy settings is to adjust the HTTP proxy
setting.  You may also want to set your ftp proxy as well, if you are going to
use FTP from the browser.

See ya

Dean Thompson

1. Internet Browsing thru Proxy server

Hi friends,

I recently installed Redhat Linux 6.2 wiht KDE GNU on my system (
Pentium II Processor). its everything ok but a little problem.
we should browse internet through a proxy server. they are using
Microsoft proxy server V2 on the proxy and it requires a username and
password and domain. when i tried to browse the net using KFM, its not
asking me to enter username&password. it is straight away giving an
error stating that "PROXY AUTHENTICATION REQUIRED".
I have entered the proxy server IP address and port number in browser
settings of KFM. but i don't know where to enter username and password
for proxy authentication.
Can u suggest me the way of doing it? or else which web browsers for
linux supports this.
i am awaiting some body's help in this regard.
thank you very much for u'r time.

Regards

2. NEWBIE: ipchains/route question

3. Accessing Internet in Linux via ISP's Proxy server

4. mgetty+sendfax

5. Linux Internet Access Through Proxy Server

6. Newbie needs help

7. Using Linux with to access Internet via ISP's proxy server

8. IOMEGA External USB 2.0 Hard Drive

9. Internet access from linux box via MS Proxy Server?

10. Configure AIX - ftp commandline access internet via proxy

11. Configure Redhat to use a Win98 proxy for internet access?

12. linux thru "linux server" to internet

13. Accessing internet thru linux box from Mac?