ppp connection (Not Quite)

Post by Jef » Sun, 22 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Slackware 2.0.29 pppd 2.2
I can dial, establish a ppp connection, I can ping both IP's and
names, I can start a ftp session connect and login in but that's it.
Nothing else comes thru, when I start Lynx it sits at "HTTP connected
waiting for response"

route -n shows everything up and working, default is showing my ISP.

What else could it be?

Thanks folks

Jeff

ppp connection (Not Quite)

Post by Brian McCaule » Wed, 25 Jun 1997 04:00:00

> Slackware 2.0.29 pppd 2.2
> I can dial, establish a ppp connection, I can ping both IP's and
> names, I can start a ftp session connect and login in but that's it.
> Nothing else comes thru, when I start Lynx it sits at "HTTP connected
> waiting for response"

Sounds like you may have a flow control problem on your modem.
Are you using xon/xoff or hardware flow control?
Are you connecting to an established ISP or a home-brew PPP server?
Does ping still work if you use:
  Huge packets?
  A burst (preload)?
Does reducing the MTU/MRU help?
Does your modem have lights?  What do they do?
Does "ifconfig" indicate errors?

Note: HTTP and FTP are not the protocols of choice for debugging an IP
link.  Stick with ICMP-ECHO (aka ping) and Telnet.