Suse 8.1 Professional DHCP router hangs KDE (initializing system services)

Suse 8.1 Professional DHCP router hangs KDE (initializing system services)

Post by Karl Hoffma » Wed, 09 Apr 2003 16:47:10

Hi,

I know there has been a lot of disucssion around this topic, but none
seem to have helped me.

I have a Suse 8.1 Professional linux box, and have recently acquired a
netgear DG824 ADSL modem gateway and router. I am trying to get an ip
address from the dhcp server, now thats where the problem starts.

I have tried a number of things,

1: Let linux get an ip address, it tells me that etho .... FAILED when
I boot, even though I still get an ip address, when I start the KDE it
hangs
2: I have assigned my linux box a hard coded IP adress with in the
range set by the router(192,168.0.51), and have told the router to
always assign the same ip address to the mac address and setup my
gateway configs. Still it does not work.

I suspect the problem, has something to do with the fonts and xfs,
although in my XFreeConfig, the Fontpath is /usr/X11R6/.....

I have also updated XFree to 4.3.0 for suse (the one off the suse)
site.

Any ideas, would be welcome, as I am about to throw suse out. Is this
something 8.2 is going to sort out.

Thanks

Karl

Post by jack » Wed, 09 Apr 2003 17:03:29

> I have also updated XFree to 4.3.0 for suse (the one off the suse)
> site.

> Any ideas, would be welcome, as I am about to throw suse out. Is this
> something 8.2 is going to sort out.

Karl,

Just a thought: What does Your hardware look like...? - Do You have an
NVidia VGA?

In fact, I have upgraded to SuSE 8.1 late last year, and I'm not too
happy with it, either. I have, like You, found that there's something
wrong with their config when it comes to running X apps.

I really liked SuSE (my first distro I got from them was 4.4.1, April
1995), but today it seems to have become too huge and filled up with
things that (a) You don't want to have and (b) that*up Your
system in some cases. One example: I use fvwm2, and have manually
tailored a system-wide .fvwm2rc file. When, after that, I installed
some other rpm from their DVD (don't remember exactly what that was,
but I think not even anything X-ish), their "SuSE config" tool simp-
ly replaced that .rc with their default thingy - even without back-
ing up mine... - I will try other distros next, or make my own from
scratch...

The NVidia issue was somewhere on their support pages - I didn't take
the time to investigate that, since the things I need here work fine,
so I know how to avoid such hangs...

Anyway, just a thought...

Cheers, Jack.

My personal reading of the string "MicroSoft" expands to "NanoWeak"...

Suse 8.1 Professional DHCP router hangs KDE (initializing system services)

Post by Karl Hoffma » Thu, 10 Apr 2003 01:35:28

Hi Jack,

Yip I have a NVIDIA card I did look through that as well, but it only
seems to happen when the network card is plugged into the DHCP server
which seems a bit wiered. Yeah I am really annoyed and dissapointed
with Suse.

I am also trying to resolve it with their technical support. If I find
anything I will let you know.

Karl

> > I have also updated XFree to 4.3.0 for suse (the one off the suse)
> > site.

> > Any ideas, would be welcome, as I am about to throw suse out. Is this
> > something 8.2 is going to sort out.

> Karl,

> Just a thought: What does Your hardware look like...? - Do You have an
> NVidia VGA?

> In fact, I have upgraded to SuSE 8.1 late last year, and I'm not too
> happy with it, either. I have, like You, found that there's something
> wrong with their config when it comes to running X apps.

> I really liked SuSE (my first distro I got from them was 4.4.1, April
> 1995), but today it seems to have become too huge and filled up with
> things that (a) You don't want to have and (b) that*up Your
> system in some cases. One example: I use fvwm2, and have manually
> tailored a system-wide .fvwm2rc file. When, after that, I installed
> some other rpm from their DVD (don't remember exactly what that was,
> but I think not even anything X-ish), their "SuSE config" tool simp-
> ly replaced that .rc with their default thingy - even without back-
> ing up mine... - I will try other distros next, or make my own from
> scratch...

> The NVidia issue was somewhere on their support pages - I didn't take
> the time to investigate that, since the things I need here work fine,
> so I know how to avoid such hangs...

> Anyway, just a thought...

> Cheers, Jack.

1. SuSE 8.1 professional hangs during install

I am trying install SuSE 8.1 Professional on a standard desktop PC.
Pentium II, 192 MB ram, motherboard (PC Chips brand I think) uses SiS
chipset, voodoo 2 video card, modem, IO card, floppy drive and has the
following IDE drives:

     pri master: 80 GB Seagate Barracuda
     pri slave:  ATAPI CD-ROM
     sec master: 120 GB Seagate Barracuda

If I let the installation run as normal then it hangs when it says:

     Starting hardware detection
     >ide.1.2: read info

If I choose "manual" installation then it gets as far as displaying the
Yast 2 graphical screen but hangs displaying "Yast 2 initializing..."

Can anyone help me with this one? I can give more details of the exact
chips used on the motherboard if required. The system already has Win98
and Win2000 on the 80 GB drive, was intending to add Linux to that.

Installed 8.1 on my laptop without problems. I think my desktop was made
from very cheap components. :(

--
Many thanks,
Marin

Replace "nospam" with "net" to email me.

2. Problems with home network !

3. KDE hangs at "initializing system services"

4. Redhat 9.0 and Portsentry

5. KDE hangs on startup - "Initializing system services"

6. RH 6.1 Installation hang on image2.img (Help!!!)

7. 4 Port NIC for SUSE 8.1 Professional

8. Loadbsd crashes on A1200

9. Newbie issues with SuSE 8.1 Professional Duplicate CD-ROM and DVD drives

10. SuSE 8.1, sax2, yast, KDE, problems (I broke KDE)

11. RH 7.2 (i386) - kde 3.0.3 - not starting WM - ksplash: initializing system services

12. RH 7.2 i386 - KDE 3.0.3 does not go past ksplash (initializing system services)

13. Confirgure Suse 8.1 with Router/Cable Modem