2 Internet connections

Post by Don Elto » Sun, 07 Nov 1999 04:00:00

I have a static IP with an ISP I reach using a diald dial-on-demand type of
connection. I've added a Cable modem that I can access via ethernet to a
router. What I'd like to do is be able to pick up things intended for my
linux machine on that static IP from the dial-up host and send out my
mailing lists I manage via the faster cable modem. When I add a default
route to the cable modem, a traceroute on my machine from another machine
shows the route to my machine via the cable modem and no traffic will arrive
via the dial-up connection. Worse yet, the cable modem assigned IP addresses
don't even seem to have DNS entries anywhere other than within their system
so outside parties can't connect with me via the cable modem anyway (their
requests show up in my log as connect from unidentified machine or some
such). If I can just fix things such that outgoing email goes out via the
cable modem and everything else occurs via the intermittent connection then
all would be fine. Any suggestions?

--
---------
Don Elton, MD, FCCP

Columbia, SC

1. connect a linux machine to the internet via internet connection sharing

Hi,

Basically, tell your Linux box the IP address of a DNS server, and that it
should use the IP address of the Windows machine as its gateway.  What about
showing us the output of your /sbin/ifconfig and /sbin/route -n commands on
your Linux box.

See ya

Dean Thompson

2. Unresolved symbols error related to modules seen during bootup.

3. Internet-Junkie Linux-Newbie Trying to Configure Cable Internet Connection

4. How do you convert o/p to VT100 into a text file?

5. internet connection dies sometims after usenet connection times out

6. Is apache really all that good ?

7. Internet Connection via a Network Shared Connection in RedHat 7.2

8. Linux as a modem server

9. internet connexion sharing through usb direct connexion

10. Help with setting up my sympatico dsl internet connection.

11. Solaris still initiates internet-connection over ISDN-Router

12. internet connection troubles.

13. cable modem internet connection