setting up a remote virtual console

Post by Benjamin Dix » Sun, 28 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Is it possible to setup a virtual console on one machine that is really a
telnet session to another machine such that if I press say F5 I can get a
login prompt for my remote pc? I appreciate pointers to HOWTOs or other
information.

Ben

setting up a remote virtual console

Run an mgetty on some port - See the Serial-HOWTO.

--

setting up a remote virtual console

Also Text-Terminal-HOWTO

--

setting up a remote virtual console

Post by Rick Onania » Tue, 02 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Although not the right way to do it, you could set up an account on the
first machine that, thru a shell script at startup, automatically logs
in to the remote machine. This would look pretty close to the same to
the user - you press alt+f5, and see a login. You login. It
automatically does a rlogin and it types in the username and password,
as long as you use the account you made for that.

--
  rick - a guy in search of raw (ISO) cd images of SuSE and Slackware
---------------

1. Remote controlling what's on a virtual console

Is there any good way to control a program that's running on a virtual
console? I've started a program (in this case DOSEMU) from a remote
telnet session as:

    open -c 5 -- dos

so that the program is running on virtual console 5. Normally, the
program will happily run unattended. However, on occasion, things go
awry and I want to be able to control that program - at least send it a
few keystrokes. I can see the output of the virtual console by cat'ing
/dev/vcs5, but I haven't come up with a good way to send something back
to it. Suggestions?

Thanks,
Andy

2. can't see the kernel calls

3. Shape Ups,Men's Shape Ups,Men's Skechers Shape Ups - new styles!

4. Shared memory for driver at C0000H available?

5. how to set up multiple virtual console screens?

6. core b4 main

7. setting vga mode virtual consoles

8. RH Linux network setup problems, help!

9. how to set up virtual consoles

10. How to set color in Virtual Console?

11. creating a new virtual console alongside existing vt100 consoles

12. is a virtual console truly virtual?

13. Virtual Desktop/No Virtual Setting