Problems connecting to 3C2000 (3Com 3C940)

Problems connecting to 3C2000 (3Com 3C940)

Post by Monty » Sat, 14 Jun 2003 05:36:29

Greeteings,

I am testing a new Asus P4C800 Deluxe motherboard with the built in
3Com 3C940 GB ethernet port. I am loading RedHat Linux 7.2 and using
the 3C2000 driver provided with the motherboard. The same version is
available on Asus's web site.

I am having problems with this and suspect the driver to be flaky. Has
anyone else had problems or do you know of another driver for this I
can try?

More details below.

Thanks,

Monty

The driver loads great, and I am able to connect to anything on the
network from the linux test system. I am also able to connect to the
linux test system from any other linux box or windows box.

My problem is I am unable to connect to the system from my Sun Sparc
Solaris boxes. When trying to connect (using telnet or ssh) it times
out, and a 'netstat -a' shows a constant SYN_SENT status for the
connection. Doing an 'strace' on the linux box shows that the process
(xinetd, sshd) is not seeing the attempted connection. I am not doing
any firewalling on the linux test box, and can connect if I use
another linux box from the same IP Address as the Solaris box.

If I move the linux test box to another subnet, I can then connect
from my Solaris box. So if the packets are sent through a router (and
I imagine rebuilt) the connection works fine.

I have the same OS (RedHat 7.2) installed on other linux boxes and
they work okay. It is only this one system with this driver.

I have also tried the latest 2.4.20-18 kernel (with the same driver)
and get the same results.

It seems as if the TCP stack on the linux box is having problems with
the packets sent directly from the Solaris box, but not others. It
seems this is probably an issue with the driver as this is the only
thing different for this system.

Post by Pau » Sat, 14 Jun 2003 11:03:44

> Greeteings,

> I am testing a new Asus P4C800 Deluxe motherboard with the built in
> 3Com 3C940 GB ethernet port. I am loading RedHat Linux 7.2 and using
> the 3C2000 driver provided with the motherboard. The same version is
> available on Asus's web site.

> I am having problems with this and suspect the driver to be flaky. Has
> anyone else had problems or do you know of another driver for this I
> can try?

> More details below.

> Thanks,

> Monty

> The driver loads great, and I am able to connect to anything on the
> network from the linux test system. I am also able to connect to the
> linux test system from any other linux box or windows box.

> My problem is I am unable to connect to the system from my Sun Sparc
> Solaris boxes. When trying to connect (using telnet or ssh) it times
> out, and a 'netstat -a' shows a constant SYN_SENT status for the
> connection. Doing an 'strace' on the linux box shows that the process
> (xinetd, sshd) is not seeing the attempted connection. I am not doing
> any firewalling on the linux test box, and can connect if I use
> another linux box from the same IP Address as the Solaris box.

> If I move the linux test box to another subnet, I can then connect
> from my Solaris box. So if the packets are sent through a router (and
> I imagine rebuilt) the connection works fine.

> I have the same OS (RedHat 7.2) installed on other linux boxes and
> they work okay. It is only this one system with this driver.

> I have also tried the latest 2.4.20-18 kernel (with the same driver)
> and get the same results.

> It seems as if the TCP stack on the linux box is having problems with
> the packets sent directly from the Solaris box, but not others. It
> seems this is probably an issue with the driver as this is the only
> thing different for this system.

I thought some Unix boxes liked to do reverse name lookup, to
authenticate IP addresses in the packets they receive. If you have
hosts on your network, which are assigned IP addresses, but whatever
name server doesn't have a symbolic name for them, maybe that would
be enough to prevent a connection. (I used to be unable to log into
a Sun from a modem pool, when the modem pool didn't have symbolic
names assigned to the ports. The Sun would reject the connection,
because when it tried to convert 1.2.3.4 IP address to a name, there
would be no match, so the Sun would reject the connection attempt.
Logging into a HP workstation under the same conditions was no problem
at all. That was a long time ago, and I've forgotten the details.
Maybe your computers are attempting reverse name lookup as well, to
prevent spoofing. Try assigning a host name to the machine which is
the client in the client-server relationship.)

Just a guess,
   Paul

Problems connecting to 3C2000 (3Com 3C940)

Post by Peter Lisk » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 11:12:46

I found a big problem with the linux drivers for the 3c940/3c2000, as well.
For me, it manifests when trying to connect to the network card via NAT.
Connecting from a machine on the same subnet is fine, and any regular,
routable IP's are fine, too.  Behind any kind of NAT gateway, though, the
connections seem to stop after a few kB.  The latest drivers (044) from
Asus's website seemed to fix the issue if a Linksys box was doing the NAT,
but my linux gateway networks still have the same issue.

Of course, Asus has been ignoring my queries, or telling me to download the
driver again.  As the problem is somewhat addressed in the 044 release, I
suspect they know this is an issue with their linux driver, but won't admit
there's a serious issue.

Peter

Quote:> Greeteings,

> I am testing a new Asus P4C800 Deluxe motherboard with the built in
> 3Com 3C940 GB ethernet port. I am loading RedHat Linux 7.2 and using
> the 3C2000 driver provided with the motherboard. The same version is
> available on Asus's web site.

> I am having problems with this and suspect the driver to be flaky. Has
> anyone else had problems or do you know of another driver for this I
> can try?

> More details below.

> Thanks,

> Monty

Problems connecting to 3C2000 (3Com 3C940)

Post by Buuri » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 12:17:04

What connection you are using? I guess you're using some kind of broadband
if you need a NIC to go out. Try lowering the MTU in your Linux networking
setup, especially if you are using ADSL with PPPoE - try 1464 or 1492.

Keith

> I found a big problem with the linux drivers for the 3c940/3c2000, as
well.
> For me, it manifests when trying to connect to the network card via NAT.
> Connecting from a machine on the same subnet is fine, and any regular,
> routable IP's are fine, too.  Behind any kind of NAT gateway, though, the
> connections seem to stop after a few kB.  The latest drivers (044) from
> Asus's website seemed to fix the issue if a Linksys box was doing the NAT,
> but my linux gateway networks still have the same issue.

> Of course, Asus has been ignoring my queries, or telling me to download
the
> driver again.  As the problem is somewhat addressed in the 044 release, I
> suspect they know this is an issue with their linux driver, but won't
admit
> there's a serious issue.

> Peter

> > Greeteings,

> > I am testing a new Asus P4C800 Deluxe motherboard with the built in
> > 3Com 3C940 GB ethernet port. I am loading RedHat Linux 7.2 and using
> > the 3C2000 driver provided with the motherboard. The same version is
> > available on Asus's web site.

> > I am having problems with this and suspect the driver to be flaky. Has
> > anyone else had problems or do you know of another driver for this I
> > can try?

> > More details below.

> > Thanks,

> > Monty

Problems connecting to 3C2000 (3Com 3C940)

Post by Peter Lisk » Sun, 06 Jul 2003 00:29:46

Hi - thanks for the advice.  Since it was a production environment, I ended
up quickly popping 3c905's into the new servers, and now it's all working
fine.  Is the MTU set on a per-interface basis, and if so, could it be set
in the driver source, by chance?

Since everything else is identical across the cluster (except the 2 new
machines have these 3Com 2000's), I strongly suspect the drivers are/were
the issue.  It's not such a burning issue now that I've got replacement
cards to hold me over until a fix is available, but I'm really curious as
to what's causing this very strange problem.

Peter

Post by David Nei » Wed, 30 Jul 2003 23:27:13

> I found a big problem with the linux drivers for the 3c940/3c2000, as well.
> For me, it manifests when trying to connect to the network card via NAT.
> Connecting from a machine on the same subnet is fine, and any regular,
> routable IP's are fine, too.  Behind any kind of NAT gateway, though, the
> connections seem to stop after a few kB.  The latest drivers (044) from
> Asus's website seemed to fix the issue if a Linksys box was doing the NAT,
> but my linux gateway networks still have the same issue.

> Of course, Asus has been ignoring my queries, or telling me to download the
> driver again.  As the problem is somewhat addressed in the 044 release, I
> suspect they know this is an issue with their linux driver, but won't admit
> there's a serious issue.

> Peter

> > Greeteings,

> > I am testing a new Asus P4C800 Deluxe motherboard with the built in
> > 3Com 3C940 GB ethernet port. I am loading RedHat Linux 7.2 and using
> > the 3C2000 driver provided with the motherboard. The same version is
> > available on Asus's web site.

> > I am having problems with this and suspect the driver to be flaky. Has
> > anyone else had problems or do you know of another driver for this I
> > can try?

> > More details below.

> > Thanks,

> > Monty

I also had strange problems with this motherboard, network interface, and
Linux.  Found drivers that seem to clear up the problems at SysKonnect, the
chip-maker for the 3c2000/3c940.

driver location:

http://www.syskonnect.com/syskonnect/support/driver/d0102_driver.html

follow the menus (Gigabit Ethernet -> SK98XX -> Linux ->)

supported kernels (a/o 07/23/2003) are:

2.2.25
2.4.21
2.6.0

There are also drivers for Windows, Solaris, etc.

You end up compiling a driver called sk98lin.o, which is an option in
the 2.4.21 kernel, already.  I never tried the driver that came with the
kernel... it may have worked just fine.  The object files that get built
from the SysKonnect software are different from the sk98lin.o file you get
with the kernel build.

Anyway, samba works to/from a winXP box, and the connections to web sites
that didn't work before, work now.  Hope this works for you, too.

1. Which driver for the 3C940 / 3C2000?

Hi,

I am a bit confused about which driver a need for my onboard (Asus
P4C800 mobo) 3Com gigabit Ethernet controller. It should be a 3C940 but
sometimes it's called 3C2000. I found a driver at the asus site which
compiles and works with some kernel versions. Is there a proper (open
source) kernel driver for this chip? It seems that the tg3 driver
support some type of 3C940 but not mine.

lspci -n gives:

02:05.0 Class 0200: 10b7:1700 (rev 12)

This chip is also currently not defined in pci_ids.h (2.4 and 2.5)

Thanks,

Jurgen

-

2. Keyboard Problems with RH 6.2

3. Asus P4P800 Mainboard (3com Gigabit 3c940 onboard) + SuSE 8.2 (Kernel 2.40.20)

4. Microsoft stakes a claim on many shores

5. Options for 3Com Gigabit NIC (3C2000) Driver

6. debuging custom apache mods

7. 3com Office Connect LAN Modem::trouble connecting

8. News How-To question

9. linux ppp connect to 3com ISP server problem...

10. Problems with Tiny Term and 3Com Office Connect Lan Modem

11. Incorpating new ethernet driver into Redhat configuration (GBit 3c2000 chip on Asustek motherboard)

12. 3com Impact IQ Connect Rates

13. 3COM 3c590 not connecting on SCO5