PPP demand dialing in Linux RPMs?

Post by Jeff Webe » Tue, 28 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Does anybody know if PPP demand dialing will work after installing
Redhat Linux kernel-*-2.0.34-1.i386.rpm +
ppp-2.3.5-1.i386.rpm?

Previously, I have only been able to get PPP demand dialing by patching
a kernel-source-*.rpm with the ppp -*.tar.gz patches, that is, Redhat
wasn't putting this feature in their kernel RPMs.

    Thanks,
    Jeff Weber

Jeff Weber

Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics, University of Colorado

1. linux 2.018/kerneld/PPP dial on demand: 'network unreachable' then starts dialling

I recently upgradet to the 2.0.18 kernel from 1.2.13, and decided to
switch from using diald to the kerneld-based dial-on-demand solution
documented in the kerneld READMEs.

Most of the time, my connections come up OK (except for some
irrelevant rumbles that I suspect are due to a misconfiguration
on my ISP's side), but when I try starting ncftp from the command
line, I get this:

--------[snip]---------

NcFTP: nic.funet.fi (101): Network is unreachable

NcFTP 1.9.4 (April 15, 1995) by Mike Gleason, NCEMRSoft.

Tip: If you don't want a .ncrecent file in your home directory, put
the
     command '#unset recent-list' in your .ncftprc file.

ncftp>
--------[snip]---------

then, after some seconds, my modem starts dialling and a PPP
connection gets established. To me, it looks like ncftp times
out immediately, but kerneld processes the package anyway.

Is it possible to devise a workaround for this?

- Peter

2. Enormous LINUX ! plz help !

3. demand dialing vs. the other demand dialing

4. PC 95 => oracle 7

5. PPP problems - "Dial on Demand" won't dial

6. How to print 4 Matlab pictures (postscript files) on a single sheet?

7. RE-dialing SLIP/PPP (not dial on demand)

8. SCAM LINUX losers in UK this is 4 you

9. PPP Dial on demand + dial in server CO-EXIST Peacefully ?

10. Demand dialed PPP (was Re: FOLLOWUP: PPP client setup help)

11. Dial on demand PPP in Linux

12. PPP 2.3.1 do demand dial for Linux?

13. Is SLIP or PPP dial-on-demand possible on linux?