NFS problem - RedHat 5.2

Post by Bill Unr » Fri, 22 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>So I guess I can successfully run NFS manually after boot time but how do I
>get it so that rpc.mountd & rpc.nfsd service is started automatically each
>time I boot?
>Is this correct? I thought this should be started in rc.d? Sorry for the long
>message..trying to give you as much info as I can. Thanks.

Yup. Start it in /etc/rc.d
So on my system
ls /etc/rc.d/*/*nfs*

Ie, you want to start up both nfs and nfsd  (in runlevels 3-5). This
should have occured automatically when you told the installation program
you wanted to set up nfs (ie be a nfs server)

NFS problem - RedHat 5.2

Post by greyma » Fri, 22 Jan 1999 04:00:00

[snip]
>>Is this correct? I thought this should be started in rc.d? Sorry for the
long
>>message..trying to give you as much info as I can. Thanks.

>Yup. Start it in /etc/rc.d
>So on my system
>ls /etc/rc.d/*/*nfs*

[snip]

>Ie, you want to start up both nfs and nfsd  (in runlevels 3-5). This
>should have occured automatically when you told the installation program
>you wanted to set up nfs (ie be a nfs server)

You can automount a nfs filesystem in /etc/fstab with a line like:
eden:/doswin/kits      /mnt/nfs        nfs     rsize=1024,wsize=1024 0 0

See 'man mount' and 'man fstab' for more detail of parameters for this file.
Greyman

1. Help: NFS Install problem with Redhat 5.2

I am trying to install Redhat on a Toshiba T2130CT laptop via a
network.  I am new at all of this, so pardon the questions if they seem
too obvious.

Using the Redhat 5.2 installation floppies I went through the
installation process up until it asks for the

NFS server name:  sprot.tland.net
Red Hat directory: /mnt/cdrom

at which point I entered the locations indicated entries.  The answer I
got was "invalid argument" followed by another dialog saying "can't
mount server"

I am also trying to set up the network for the first time so the problem
might be there.  I have succeeded in setting the net parameters so that
I can ping in either direction between the desktop and laptop (using
tomsrtbt one disk linux) with either IP numbers or hostnames.  What I
haven't been able to do is mount the cdrom on the desktop via the
network or the hard drive on the laptop.  I get the following msgs:

On bill (laptop):
mount sprog:/mnt/cdrom /mnt/local

I get this error:
mount:RPC: Program not registered.

On sprog (desktop):
mount bill:/mnt /mnt/local

I get this error:
mount: RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC: Unable to receive

I have updated the /etc/export files on both machines

What haven't I done??  If I succeed in mounting I presume that will fix
my Redhat installation problem, or is it something else?

Thank you in advance,

Chris

2. ftp and quota

3. RedHat 5.2 NFS read-write problems

4. Windoze 95 Corrupts my Partition ID's

5. RedHat 5.2 -> RedHat 6.0 Upgrade Problems

6. FreeBSD

7. NFS bug/workaround in RedHat 5.2

8. DNEWS4 News Server Mthly Pointer to FAQ

9. RedHat 5.2 NFS server fails on writes

10. What has changed in the NFS client from Redhat 5.2->6.1??

11. Redhat 5.2 NFS Install Fails With DHCP

12. RedHat 5.2 install onto Libretto 50ct using nfs?

13. NFS between Linux RedHat 5.2